Will my Stretch Marks Be Able to Be Hidden Below my Waist Line: 4 Inches Above my Waist. (photo)

I was just wondering if I could possibly get my stretch marks below my waist with a full tummy tuck? My goal is to hopefully be able to wear a bikini someday again. I have lost 60 pounds and plan on losing 20 more before I start consults. I am not sure I would do the tummy tuck if I still would not be able to show at least part of my stomach again.

Tummy tuck removes stretch marks below belly button

+3

Though you can expect wonderful results from tummy tuck, it is unlikely that stretch marks above the umbilicus will be removed with the procedure.

Stretch marks and TT

+2

The simple answer is no. They will not be hidden below a bikini. However, the process of stretching the upper abdominal skin to replace the lower abdominal skin will generally minimize the visibility of the remaining stretch marks.

David A. Ross, MD

Tummy tuck and stretch marks

+2

Any thing below the level of the belly button will be removed during an abdominoplasty  (or tummy tuck).  Any thing above will remain on the abdomen but will be pulled to a lower position.  However you might be able to remove more tissue and stretch marks if you consider a Fleur de Lis abdominoplasty.  This comes with an additional vertical visible scar but the results can be phenomenal because so much tissue is removed.

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

Tummy Tuck & Stretch Marks

+2

Based on your pictures, a tummy tuck will not remove all of your stretch marks. While a tummy tuck typically results in a significant improvement for patients with significant weight loss, not all of the problem areas can be corrected.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and stretch marks

+2

Congratulations on losing the weight you are clearly on your way to a new chapter in your life. The abdominoplasty will remove all the skin from the belly button, and possibly higher in you, to the pubic hairline. All the stretch marks within this area will be removed. You have stretch marks which are above this level. They will be lowered on the abdominal wall from where they are now but will not be removed. Although some of the stretch marks remain they will  be elongated and effaced making them less noticeable.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to review the procedure and show you potential results. This will be a dramatic improvement. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Will my Stretch Marks Be Able to Be Hidden Below my Waist Line: 4 Inches Above my Waist.

+2

A tummy tuck can usually remove the skin to the level of the belly button, but sometimes well beyond.  An exam will be necessary to determine what is possible.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuctions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+2

An actual exam will give a better guess than one can give based on photos alone. Based on this photo, all the stretchmarks below the navel will be gone, but the ones above will still be present. They will be stretched out but still present, some still above the navel, and then all the way down to the main incision. 

Nonetheless, I would expect a dramatic overall improvement. All the best. 

Hiding Stretch Marks in Tummy Tuck

+2

A typical full tummy tuck will remove all of the stretch marks below the belly button.  The stretch marks that are above the belly button will be moved below.  On good way to see what will happen is to lay down flat and trace out a line that goes from just above you belly button out to your pelvic bones.  This part of you skin will be moved down and be attached to the area a little above you pubic bone.  All of the existing skin between there will be gone.

The tummy tuck will certainly improve the amount of stretch marks and will get rid of a lot of the extra skin.  I think you would be pleased with the results.  Good luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD

Will TT Remove All My Stretch Marks?

+1

Typically a full TT will remove stretch marks that are below your belly button.  Anything above your belly button will be pulled down to a lower position, hopefully after additional weight loss, below your bikini line so they won't show.  It will be a nice improvement for you but just make sure you are realistic about what your results will be.  Try to lose as much weight as is comfortable for you to maintain and consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon when you are ready. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Removing stretch marks with tummy tuck

+1

For most patients, all  stretch marks from the belly button to the pubic hair are included in the skin that is excised, and will be removed. The stretch marks above the belly button will be on stretch after surgery, and will therefore look better, but will still be visible.  Sometimes a little more skin can be excised, but in your case with stretch marks extending many inches above the belly button, many will still present, albeit improved in appearance.  From the photo, you will gain a large benefit from the surgery, and it is still well worth considering.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS