Mole on the Nasal Tip is There a Way to Get It Removed with a Smooth Nasal Tip and Not a Crater? (photo)

I have a mole on my nasal tip and I would like it to be removed but the cosmetic surgeon I saw said that it would leave a bad scar maybe a crater. I wanted a second opinion because I hate it so much I just want my nose to be smooth is there any possible method to fix a crater on my nasal tip if I have it done? So that I can have a normal nose without any moles?

Mole removal

+1

In order to remove the mole completely, this would require a complete surgical excision, leaving behind a scar that will eventually fade over time.  

You can trade the raised mole for a thin red line

+1

Because the mole likely goes beneath the surface, you would need to have it removed beneath the surface to get it all.

This is usually quite easy for a surgeon experienced in this. You would likely have some tiny stitches for a few days. then your mole would be gone forever; and the fine red line (scar) would fade over time and likely become almost imperceptible. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal without a crater

+1

Hi, SassyV.  It's difficult to tell from your pictures, but you appear to have an intradermal nevus (or mole) on the tip of your nose.  These types of moles have a component above the level of the skin (that you see as a bump) and have a deeper component that extends below what you see on the surface.  In order to remove a mole completely, you'd have to cut out the entire area (with an excision), leaving stitches.  The area would heal as a linear, or line scar.  There's always a risk of a scar spreading and leaving a depressed area (crater), but a good dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon should be able to do a great job for you.  However, another option for this type of mole would be to shave it flat with the contour of your nose.  This procedure would not remove the entire mole, so there is a possibility that it would grow back.  However, it may be worth a try as a first line treatment - if the mole grows back, you can always opt for the excision later on.  

Anita Shetty, MD
Atlanta Dermatologist