Should I Worry that a Mole Right by my Hairline, my Forehead Has Become Tender in the Sane Area?

I have had a mole right by my hairline since I was little. I am now 52 and the mt forehead area in the same general location of the mole has become tender to the touch. DO I need to worry?

Pain next to a mole can be worrisome

+1

I would get it removed and check the pathology of it, just to be sure. After that you can plan whatever you need. Below is a video to illustate our answer better. We have other informative videos and information on our website and a link is included to help you find us

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain in area of mole removal

+1
A change, whether visible or sensory, could be a concern. I recommend that you see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for evaluation. A plan of action can be developed to ascertain whether this requires treatment or has an underlying basis. I have an issue about shave biopsy as, if a lesion is a malignant melanoma, it prevents proper staging analysis.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Most Likely It is Fine

+1

It sounds like the mole itself is not tender, but just the general area.  There are many things that can cause tenderness in the skin, most commonly the area has gotten inflamed for some reason.  A pimple or inflamed follicle is often responsible for this, sometimes directly connected to the mole.  I recommend seeing how it heals over the next week or two.  If it has not gotten better, or if the mole itself is changing, then you should see your doctor about it.

Lisa Benest, MD
Burbank Dermatologist

How to evaluate a changing mole

+1

The warning signs of moles changing to skin cancers are all visual until it is much too far advanced. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: Asymmetry; Irregular Borders; black or uneven Colors; Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and a growth that is Evolving or changing. If you are still concerned, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a Dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, if a mole changes have it checked by a Dermatologist.

+1

Yes, if a mole changes have it checked by a Dermatologist.  A change is a mole may be an indication of a skin cancer, so get your mole check right away to make sure it is not turning into a skin cancer!  Get it done soon!

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Tender Mole

+1

There is no reason to worry until you have it checked, but I would recommend that you see a board-certified dermatologist to have the site inspected. Changes in moles are common and while usually nothing to worry about, peace of mind is worth everything.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Concerning moles

+1

It is important that you have this lesion evaluated by a professional.  Moles infrequently develop cancers within them, yet it does indeed occur.  The tenderness could be something benign, such as minor irritation perhaps when you comb or cut your hair, or it could mean something more.  You should be aware of the time course of changes in your moles, including whether it has changed size, shape, color, or doesn't appear to heal.  We often refer to this as the ABCDE's:

A:Asymmetry

B: irregular Borders

C: Color changes, including darkening or lightening or greying

D: changes in Diameter, growth

E: Evolution or Elevation--I tend to lump bleeding/non-healing lesions, as well as singular lesions that itch or are tender.  I would caution one to be wary of not only the elevated lesions, but to be aware of the flat ones as well. Most melanomas are still flat when they are discovered, and elevated ones (nodular) are particularly serious.

Be prepared to provide as much of this history as you can when you see a board certified dermatologist for evaluation.  They may be able to diagnose you after exam, or a skin biopsy may be necessary.  In general, patients should do self exams at regular intervals, remembering to check between toes and beneath toenails as well.  Everyone should wear sunscreen to decrease the likelihood of cancers, and a regular exam by a professional for any concerning lesions, and annually, is also sound preventative care.

Dornechia George Carter, MD
Dallas Dermatologist