Mole Was Removed Via Shave Biopsy; However, Should an Excisional Have Been Performed? (photo)

On Tuesday, I had a mole (see below) removed via shave biopsy. My dermatologist identified it as suspicious for the color. I am expecting results within the next 10-14 days. After doing more resesarch on my end, the mole appears to be more than just "suspicious." Should an excisional biopsy have been performed? If so, how do I have this difficult conversation with my dermatologist? Thank you in advance!

Suspicious moles

+1

A shave biopsy should be enough to send to pathology to confirm a diagnosis.  Depending on the results of the biopsy, it may be necessary to completely excised the lesion. 

Shave versus excision of suspicious moles.

+1

Shave excision can work but in my opinion is not the best option. I would mention that you read this somewhere but do it in a nice way without offending the doctor. I would still get it excised and do it sooner than later.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shave biopsy vs excision

+1

I don't think an excision would deem any more helpful actually. In the case where a site is suspicious, I often begin with a shave biopsy of the piece to send into a lab. Then if the slide reads there is anything atypical, only that additional portion needs to be removed. A larger excision for a small site is excessive because 1. it's costly and 2. a larger removal than necessary may have been done so you can have a larger scar than needed. My opinion is that it's best to start small, and move to larger things as it's confirmed those are needed.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD