I Had a Mole Removed from my Face a Month Ago and I Still Have a Small Hole?

I had a mole removed from my face and a single stitch put in. I kept it covered with a band aid for a week and the stitches were removed on day 5. I still have a small but fairly noticeable hole, right in the middle of my face. I have tried covering it with makeup but it doesn't help and just disappears into the hole. Will the hole heal eventually??

Mole Removal

Thank you for your question. Everyone heals differently. I would apply Mederma or Scarguard to help with the scar. Avoid sun exposure and wear daily SPF 30 with zinc. I would wait for 6 weeks until completely healed and reassess the area for laser or an injectable filler to help with the indentation. I hope this helps.

Scar after mole removal

It depends on the size of the hole you have noticed. You may still be a candidate for mole removal, so discuss this with your surgeon at your earliest convenience. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Divet after mole removal

You should not have kept it covered and should have kept it clean and gooped up with Vaseline, Polysporin, etc. What happens if you don't keep it moist is that a scar forms and fills in the hole. When the scab comes off, you are left with a divet or a tiny hole. If you had kept it moist, the new skin would have formed over the goop, and not created a divet or hole there. The hole won't heal and won't fill in by itself. You could have it re-excised and follow better postcare, but no, it will never completely flatten out.