Mole Removal On My Face? (photo)

I have 3 moles on my face which I am considering to have removed privately. I just would like some advice on the likeliness of scaring and it its worth the risk? Would the scar look better than the moles? Also what is the healing process of mole removal like? I want to have the full mole removal where the roots removed which i know will require stitches.

Mole removal on the face in Los Angeles

+1

Scar excision and shave biopsy are both excellent options used in my clinic for removal of a facial mole.  I would opt for shave excision first, as it may leave a less noticeable scar. 

Mole removal

+1

To have the mole completely removed, this will require a complete surgical excision.  With this method, there will certainly be a scar.  The goal is to make the scar heal and look as best that it can.  Instead of having all three removed at the same time, I would encourage you to try only one at first to see how it heals.

Sam Naficy, MD

There are 3 features of a scar that make it noticeable

+1

A scar becomes noticeable if it...

1. heals a different color than the surrounding skin

2. becomes wide during the healing process

3. becomes raised or"hypertrophic" during the healing process

These three features can be minimized by using basic plastic surgery principals which deal with each of these issues at the time of the mole excision.

When I perform mole removal I take into account the location, skin type and  skin tension in the area of the mole to best plan the most cosmetic way to remove the lesion.  Your moles appear to be removable with minimal scarring using these techniques but a proper examination is needed to be certain.

I have removed similar moles to yours and have before and after pictures on the link included below.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Removal of facial moles

+1

All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scarring using the proper technique. An excision with suture closure will give the least amount of scarring by doing a layer closure using both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures. This should heal with a "fine line" scar that can be hardly visible. On the face, I typically remove the external sutures after one week when the area has sufficiently healed.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon