Mole Removal for Slightly Raised Facial Mole?

I have a small brown raised mole on the side of my face I want removed. It does have a few hairs that grow out of it that I pluck with tweezers. It doesn't cause any problems I just have never liked it. It does get puffy sometimes though. What would we the best type of surgery to remove it?

Scalpel Sculpting for Removing Moles Without Stitches

+3

Moles, often called "beauty marks" or "birth marks," are pigmented skin growths that may be completely flat or project above the skin surface. Typically, they may range in color through the entire spectrum of browns, from fawn-colored to extremely dark brown. Ocassionally, they may even be blue or nearly black. Removing them for cosmetic purposes, particularly from the face and neck, is a routine, simple, in-office procedure that takes less than five minutes to perform.

Scalpel Sculpting is my favorite method of removal since this technique does not require deep cutting into the skin nor sutures (stitches) to close the wound. The procedure is quite simple. The area directly under the mole is anesthetized locally with a tiny drop of lidocaine and then the surface of the mole is "sculpted" with a scalpel horizontally flush with the skin surface to leave a completely smooth area. The removed tissue is then sent to the laboratory to confirm that it is entirely benign and the "scratch"-like wound is left to heal by itself.

I strongly advise against any removal techniques, such as lasers, cautery, freezing or acids that simply destroy the tissue and do not permit laboratory confirmation that the mole is entirely benign and contains no evidence of malignant melanoma (mole cancer).

Following scalpel sculpting, the normal skin surrounding the wound supplies new cells to cover the surface of the wound, which heals by itself completely in about seven to ten days. During this time, little care is required, except for covering the wound with some ointment and a Bandaid.

Hairs growing out of moles will not be treated by this method, since the cutting is so superficial and the roots of the hairs are so deeply situated within the skin. However, these may be treated by electrolysis of laser hair removal at a later date.

Since scalpel sculpting requires no deep cutting nor the placement of sutures, there is little chance of any scarring and no chance of leaving stitch tracks. Because most moles have some sort of root that is located below the surface, there is a small chance of a recurrence, which can easily be treated in only a matter of moments. Most people are extremely gratified with both the simplicity of the procedure and the cosmetic results.

Web reference: http://www.youngerlookingwithoutsurgery.com

Mole Removal on Face

+2

There are two ways to go about removing a tan or skin-colored mole on the face: tangential excision (shave removal) or excision with suturing. In either case the tissue should be sent in to be evaluated under the microscope. For tan or skin-colored lesions tangential excision works quite well and gives a very good result. Excision with suturing also works well. Either case will leave a scar. You can't cut the skin without leaving a scar. The idea is to leave a scar that blends in well. Frequently, tangential excision is the best option because the scar tends to blend in well. If the mole (nevus) has a lot of pigment in it, it should be excised and sutured because sometimes pigment will recur in the scar. If the lesion is suspicious for cancer, it should also be excised and sutured. Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.dermatology-center.com

Mole Removal

+2

Moles should be removed in total, so that they can be sent for pathological diagnosis.

You will be trading the mole for a scar. You have to decide if the tradeoff is worth it for you or not.

Complete Removal of mole is necessary to minimize recurrence

+2

A mole is like an iceberg. What is visible is just the tip. The mole extends down through all the skin layers until the fatty layer is reached.

Therefore, a "shave" removal, as is typically done, will have a very high chance of recurrence. Also, if the mole is suspicious, only complete excision will give the best pathology diagnosis.

I agree that complete removal with skin closure is the best treatment. To obtain the best cosmetic result, I recommend a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Elliptical excision and closure is the best for mole removal

+2

From your picture this is a benign probably intradermal nevus. A "shave" excision as some dermatologists sometimes do will leave a "crater" or small contour deformity type scar...also the nevus has a decent change of coming back. I do quite a number of these and excise them precisely in the direction of the skin lines (Langer's lines) and send them for pathology just to be sure it is not something malignant or worrisome. Then I close the incision precisely with very small sutures and they heal great with a small "linear" (line-type) incision that once completely healed is usually imperceptible.

Hope this helps!

This mole can be surgically excised

+1
The mole can be removed using plastic surgery techniques and likely get good results.  I have removed a number of moles like this.  Below is link to a patient review posted on realself with a similar mole to yours.

Web reference: http://www.realself.com/review/claremont-ca-mole-removal-facial-mole-removed

Mole removal

+1

This mole can either be completely surgically excised or a shave excision can be done.  Either way, it should be sent to pathology for evaluation.  

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.