Mole Removal Scar on Upper Arm

5 months ago I had a small mole removed on my upper arm. It has turned red and is healing very slowly. My doctor injected it with a steroid thinking it would speed up the healing. Now it is raised in the middle and sunken around the edges. It casts a shadow on my arm that makes it look like a dimple. It is far more unattractive than the small mole I started with. Is there anything I can do about it? I have heard of a Yag laser. Is there any chance it will heal on its own?

Mole removal

+1

Sometimes there can be a thickening of scar tissue that can result after a procedure.  A series of steroid injections may be helpful to improve this thickening.  A laser treatment, like IPL, may also be helpful in improving the redness that has resulted as well.  I would recommend that you follow-up with your physician to discuss these options. 

Laser treatments can help both the redness and the texture of the scar.

+1

IPL or pulsed dye laser can help fade the color of your scar.  It sounds like the scar by be hypertorphic or a keloid scar.  These are much more challenging and may require numerous treatments.  The steroid inject is a good treatment for keloids and hypertrophic scars, but may dissolve tissue around the scar.  Precise injection only in the scar can still help reduce the bump without further dimpling around the scar.  This is tricky business.  See a dermatologist who is expert both in laser treatments and the treatment of keloid type scars. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon