Removal for Black Flat Moles?

I have flat black moles all over my face. I got these in last 6 or 7 years. I live in Midwest and originally from India with brown skin. Can Tri-Luma cream help? If not, which mole removal treatment will help?

TriLuma Unlikely to Work

+2

Without a photo, it is difficult to see what is exactly going on.  They could be actual moles or other benign spots or even sun spots.  The treatment depends on which it is.  If it is a benign growth called DPNs (dermatosis papulosa nigra) then electrocautery works very well, even in your skin type.  It is a simple procedure, and you will have small scabs over the spots for about a week.  These do not typically form a scar.  If they are actual moles, the removal is more difficult as the only way to get all the dark pigment out is te remove the mole to the base, which would involve stitching the area.

Burbank Dermatologist

Electrocautery, Cryotherapy, Laser.

+1

These lesions sound like they might be dermatosis papulosa nigra. While most often associated with Afro-Americans they can occur in people of Asian ancestry. They are felt to be autosomal dominant with variable penetrance.

These are actually miniature seborrheic keratoses ( "barnacles"). They can be removed fairly easily with electrocautery or gentle cryotherapy. The latter must be used judiciously as they can leave hypopigmented areas. A report last year ( June 2008) in the Journal of Cosmetic Laser Therapy showed that the 1064 nm nd:Yag laser can also clear these pests, albeit at considerably more cost.

Tri-Luma would not be of any use for these lesions if they are elevated.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist