Mole Removal On Chin. Keloid Prone

I have a raised mole at my chin. Sometimes it itch and there are hair growing out from it. I noticed it is getting bigger. I am considering removing it but I am keloid prone. What type of surgery should I consider to remove the mole so as to minimize the keloid chance? If keloid occurs, can steroid injection reduce the keloid totally?

Keloids on the the face are extremely uncommon following simple excision.

+1

I have removed 100's of moles on the chin with simple excision over the past 30 years.  I don't beleive any of them have turned into a keloid scar.  Keloids are most common on the chest and shoulders.  Keloids are uncommon on the face.  If a skilled plastic surgeon or dermatologic surgeon removes the mole, I believe there is an excellent chance it will not keloid.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole Removal Causing Keloids

+1

Deeper moles such as yours on the chin are easily removed by an excision with suture closure and will rarely cause a keloid in this area. This method is especially best for hair bearing moles. You are correct that if a keloid does occur it can usually be treated with cortisone injections. For more information about the removal of skin growths, please follow the link below:

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin moles that are excised rarely ever keloid.

+1

Your chin mole should be excised and sutured close and is easy to get done.  Even if a patient is keloid prone, the chin rarely ever keloids and steroid/5FU shots can help prevent that.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon