Mole Removal Before or After Chemical Peel?

I have a tiny mole on my upper lip that I want to get rid of it. Should I have it removed first then do the peeling, or should I do the opposite? Will it have any effect on my skin or conflict with the chemicals that will be used on my face?

Mole removal

+1

I would encourage you to remove the mole first and then wait at least 6 weeks or longer to do the chemical peel.  

Chemical Peel and Mole Removal

+1

It would be best to remove the mole first, then 4-6 weeks later have the chemical peel.
This way the chemical peel can possible help fade the scarring from the mole removal.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Let the peel help even out the mark from the mole removel.

+1

If the mole is on a part of the lip that would get the peel, then it makes sense to remove it first; waiting about 6 weeks or slightly more, and then go for the peel. That way it will help even out the tone on the area of the removal. You may even want to wait even longer - such as 12 weeks so the removal site will have faded and most of the swelling will be gone.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Remove Mole First

+1

I recommend removing the mole first and then allowing at least 4 -6 weeks for it to heal. Then go for your chemical peel, as the scar and any pigmentation issues can be improved with the peel.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Excise Mole First

+1

You should have the mole excised first. Wait for good healing. Then the peel should be utilized to improve the appearance of the scar.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Mole removal and chemical peel

+1

I would agree with Dr. Fechner that having the mole removed first, followed by the chemical peel 4-6 weeks later would be the rational approach. The idea is to allow the site of mole removal to heal fully before the peel. The scar and any pigmentation left by mole removal can be improved with the chemical peel.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Timing of Mole Removal and Facial Peel

+1

I assume that the mole is on the skin part of the lip and not the red lip. I recommend mole removal first and follow up with the peel 4 to 8 weeks later. Staging it in this manner may lead to a better outcome for the mole scar.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon