Mole Removal - Cheek Area, Pencil Eraser Sized.

I have a mole on my cheek that is the diameter of a pencil eraser and is raised 4mm or so. I've had it checked, and have no troubles with it, but is it getting larger with age, and cosmetically, I do not like it. I'm apprehensive to have it removed, but want to. Are there concerns other than scarring? How do I go about finding a doctor qualified to remove it?

Sounds like the mole is okay but you just don't like it...so yes it's okay to have it done...

+1

lots of choices for doctors who can do it...start with a dermatologist...simplest and usually least expensive option...and ask about the scarring...maybe you'll be referred to a plastic surgeon but maybe your dermatologist is a very good surgeon...seen good and bad results from both specialties...all depends on the individual...

Mole Removal

+1

Because the mole is getting larger in size, it would be prudent to have it removed.  I would seek a Facial Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, or Dermatologist with cosmetic experience in the face to remove this and minimize any potential scarring.  In addition, some offices, including mine, will recommend a scar minimizing ointment following removal

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhillsfacialplastic.com

Have a Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist who does cosmetic surgery remove the mole

+1

A simple plastic excison of this nevus is the best way to remove it.  I have removed over 10,000 moles and this method is by far the best and most reliable for a good cosmetic outcome.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek moles removal depends on a few factors to get the best results.

+1

Flesh colored moles on the cheeks can be shaved flat and cosmetically look great and have a 50:50 chance of regrowing in 5-10 yrs at which time they can be shaved again if needed.  Dark colored moles usually are excised and sutured closed under local anesthesia but give a fine scar which fades a lot with time.  Both are almost painless and give good results. Dermabrading the edges tend to help the scar look a lot better.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.drdavidhansen.com

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't shave moles

+1

Any fellowship-trained Mohs surgeon, plastic surgeon, or facial plastic surgeon would be very skilled in removing this definitively.  No shaving moles on the face, and especially the cheek.  The roots would be left behind allowing for it to grow back and often more cosmetically uncomfortable than the original mole.

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole Removal Should be Simple in the Right Hands

+1

An important point to consider in mole removal is that you will be trading a mole for a scar.  Experienced Facial Plastic Surgeons, Plastic Surgeons, and Dermatologists will place an elliptical  incision parallel to the lines of motion of the face (relaxed skin tension lines), perform a tension free closure with fine nonreactive suture, and ask that you follow necessary precautions to ensure better wound healing.  I have not been impressed with shaving of moles because elements of the lesion often remain in the deeper layer of skin (dermis), allowing for the mole to grow back.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1
Some moles can be shaved while others need to be excised. There are advantages and disadvantages to each option. If you have had it checked, ask that doctor to refer you to a plastic surgeon for consultation.
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon