Mole removal on back of neck. How bad will scar be? (photo)

Mole is slightly raised and the diameter of a pencil eraser. It is not suspicious. Having it removed for cosmetic reasons. I am hesitant because I had one removed on abdomen area and the scar ended up being worse than the mole. 1) Since the mole is slightly raised what is best removal technique? 2) In your experience, can this type of mole be removed with a barely noticeable scar? Isn't the skin thinner on back of neck? The last thing I want is a pale circle on the back of my neck. Thanks

All Kinds of Moles Can Be Removed Without Stitches By Scalpel Sculpting Followed By Dermaplaning

+1
In my opinion and long experience, the answer to which method is preferable for aesthetically removing either flat moles or slightly raised moles would be Scalpel Sculpting followed by Dermaplaning if necessary. Unfortunately, the quality of the photo provided does not permit discerning whether the spot is indeed a true mole or some other kind of growth. Consultation with a board certified dermatologist is strongly advised. For the sake of this discussion, however, I am going to assume that the spot is a true nevus (mole, beauty mark, birthmark). 

Although removing moles by any method from the face is likely to leave a small scar, scalpel sculpting, which involves no deep cutting or stitches has, in my experience, proven quite successful for achieving gratifying aesthetic results while leaving little, or often barely perceptible, scars.

The technique, which I have been using for thirty years, involves "scultping the mole" off from the surrounding skin in a tangential fashion (i.e. not cutting deeply into the skin). Deep cutting will inevitably result in a scar, while superficial (horizontal) removal in this fashion largely avoids this. Elliptical and fusiform simply describe the resulting shape of a wound excision after cutting them out deeply and before the placement of the sutures.

• As an important aside, destructive modalities to simply destroy the mole, e.g. lasers, electrocautery, electrodessication or cryosurgery should not be performed since these simply destroy all the mole tissue and do not permit a small specimen to be sent to the lab to ensure that the mole removed was entirely benign.
If necessary, following scalpel sculpting, the borders of the mole can then be smoothed and blended with the surrounding normal skin by "dermaplaning," a technique by which the edge of the scalpel is used to delicately abrade the skin. Properly done, the entire procedure, performed under local anesthesia, takes no more than three to five minutes. In most cases, the procedure is done at the time of the consultation.

Mole removal in Los Angeles for the back

+1
Skin tags do relatively well with mole removal. Deeper moles may require excision and/or shave removal. Our office specializes in mole removal in Los Angeles and postoperative care to minimize scarring. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS