Can a Mole Reform After the V Beam?

Hi, yesterday I got the V beam done on two circular scars on my face. I got two benign moles removed from my face about a year ago for cosmetic reasons. I was left with two circular, pinkish/red scars that were still noticeable. I got the V beam and the scars are a very dark red, in the center it is very dark purple/black. I don't know exactly how the melanin/re pigmentation works with moles, but I was hoping this treatment didn't cause the moles to regrow in some way. Thanks in advance!

Purple discoloration can result from V-Beam

+1

It is possible that the spots were broken blood vessels that got bruised from the laser treatment.  Moles cannot re-grow from the laser.  Over time, pigmentation can recur in a mole that has been shaved flat, but that has nothing to do with the V-Beam.  If you are concerned you should return to your dermatologist and have the moles re-evaluated.

Purple discoloration after V beam is bruising

+1

This is a temporary side effect that should resolve after 1-2 weeks.  The pigment that recurs in a mole comes up relatively gradually and is not purple but usually brown or even black. 

From the way you describe the scars left after mole removal, the moles were most likely shaved off the surface of the skin.  When moles are removed in this way, they can potentially recur from the deeper components that are usually left in the skin.  The return of the pigment is not sudden.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

The purple spots represent broken blood vessels and will resolve within two week.

+1

The purple spots represent broken blood vessels and will resolve within two week.  Moles may change colors after laser treatment, but these moles look like the typical purpura seen after V-Beam treatment.  If you still have questions after two week, check back with the doctor who did the treatment.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon