Why Did My Mole Go From Smooth to Raised Bloody and Scaly?

This change of the mole from raised, bloody and scaly is worrisome

+1

This could indicate some serious changes such as a malignancy.  Sometimes this could be just a benign change though indication unknown trauma to the mole, especially if it is raised. So get a biopsy immediately would be my opinion. Below is a video to illustate our answer better. We have other informative videos and information on our website and a link is included to help you find us.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changes in moles

+1

Any time you have a mole that changes quickly, you need to have it evaluated by a dermatologist. It is possible that it was benign and is changing into a pre-cancerous or cancerous site. While I hope this is unlikely and it's more of just an irritated mole, it's best to have it checked as soon as possible.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Go to a dermatologist to have the mole examined.

+1

It is impossible to tell why you mole is changing.  I would recommend going to a dermatologist to have your mole examined in case it is changing into skin cancer.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

What to do about a changing mole

+1

You should have a dermatologist evaluate the lesion. A changing mole is something that needs further evaluation. We advise patients about the ABCDs of melanoma, which stands for Asymmetry, irregular Border, varied Color, and large Diameter. But even if your mole doesn't have any of those characteristics of melanoma it is changing or Evolving. Dermatologists feel that it's not just ABCD but ABCDE to include Evolving or changing. So a pigmented lesion that is getting bigger, raised, ulcerated, itching, etc should be evaluated by a dermatologist. It may be a benign lesion, but it needs to be evaluated by a dermatologist to be sure that its not a melanoma, and the sooner you treat a melanoma, the better your chances of cure. If there is any possibility that the lesion is a skin cancer based on the examination, it should be biopsied for further study. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Bloody mole

+1

Please see a dermatologist immediately to evaluate your mole.  Although you may have traumatized a mole or age spot leading to a changed appearance, bleeding or change in texture can signify that a mole has turned cancerous.  Melanoma is an extremely dangerous form of cancer and must be caught early before it spreads.  Please emphasize when calling a doctor's office that this is an emergency visit.  Ask your primary care doctor's office to help get you in quickly if you do not have success getting an appointment within a few days.

Madeline Krauss, M.D.

Madeline Krauss, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon