I Have a Mole Directly on my Eyelash Line of my Eyelid. Who Can Remove This Ugly Thing? (photo)

This mole appreared on my eyelid when I was about 10 years old. I am now 33 and it's annoyingly large. It's doesn't affect my vision, however, my self confidence has taken quite a hit. I also have about 4 eyelashes growing out of it in different directions. I asked a dermatologist about 10 years ago if it could be removed and he said yes, but I would risk having ingrown eyelashes so I opted not to do it. Is this true, or can it be removed safely? And if so, who should I see about it?

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon or an oculoplastic surgeon for an evaluation and treatment.  

Removing Moles On Eyelids Or Near Eyelids

+1

This mole can be safely removed.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified occuloplastic surgeon as they are most experienced in dealing with lesions around the eyelid margin.  It is important that whoever removes the mole sends it to a pathologist or dermatopathologist to make sure it is a benign (not malignant/not cancerous) lesion.  Good luck!

Removing moles on eyelids

+1

Moles on eyelids can be easily removed in a quick minimal procedure. I don't agree that you risk the possibility of ingrown eyelashes either. I've not seen this happen, and actually as you said you already have eyelashes growing out of the mole, so technically those could be ingrown at any point too. I don't think having it removed would have any effect on the eyelashes being more prone to being ingrown. Consult either a surgical dermatologist or a oculoplastic surgeon, either of these physicians should be well versed in removing moles like this easily.

Eyelash moles are easy to remove.

+1

It would be very easy to shave your eyelash mole flat and then the hairs would be able to grow through and probably look great.  It would take less than 5 minutes under local and no sutures needed.  Cost is roughly $350 and you can drive yourself home or go straight to work. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.drdavidhansen.com

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Removal of Mole on Eyelid

+1

Yes, a mole on the eyelid can be safely removed. I'm not sure that I would agree with the doctor who said that you would risk ingrown hairs. It's possible that the lesion can be shave removed (also know as tangential excision). In this procedure the lesion is shaved flat with the surrounding skin and no sutures are required. Of course, any surgical procedure does have risks such as infection, scarring, recurrence, but the doctor who performs the treatment can discuss this with you further. My opinion would be to see a specialist who performs a lot of surgery on the eyelids, either a dermatologist who has completed a fellowship in Mohs surgery (fellow of the ACMS) or an ophthalmologist who has performed a plastic surgery fellowship (oculoplastic surgeon). Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.emohs.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.