I Have a Mole on my Cheek Around the Corner of my Lip. Can It Be Easily Removed in Such a Thin Area? (photo)

photo attached.. I hate how much it stands out.. and sometimes it gets sore. I just want it removed but I am so afraid it will actually cut through my cheek as stupid as it sounds.

Scalpel Sculpting Followed By Dermaplaning Works Well For Cosmetically Removing Facial Moles

+1

Although from the picture provided the growth appears most likely to be a mole (beauty mark),  direct examination by a board certified dermatologist using both magnification and a dermatoscope (a hand-held microscope) is essential for more accurately evaluating and clinically assessing any growth. In some cases a biopsy is necessary to confirm the diagnosis.

Although removing moles by any method from the face is likely to leave a small scar, the area noted in the photo is no more likely to develop one than most other areas of the face. My preferred method for removing these kinds of birth marks or beauty marks for aesthetic purposes is scalpel sculpting, which involves no deep cutting or stitches has, in my experience, proven quite successful for achieving gratifying aesthetic results while leaving little, or often barely perceptible, scars. I have even removed flat moles and moles on the lips themselves with this method.

The technique, which I have been using for thirty years, involves "scultping the mole" off from the surrounding skin in a tangential fashion (i.e. not cutting deeply into the skin). Deep cutting will inevitably result in a scar, while superficial (horizontal) removal in this fashion largely avoids this. Elliptical and fusiform simply describe the resulting shape of a wound excision after cutting them out deeply and before the placement of the sutures.

Following scalpel sculpting, the borders of the mole can then be smoothed and blended with the surrounding normal skin by "dermaplaning," a technique by which the edge of the scalpel is used to delicately abrade the skin. Properly done, the entire procedure, performed under local anesthesia, takes no more than three to five minutes.  In most cases, the procedure is done at the time of the consultation.

Removing a mole on the cheek

+1

Depending on their size and location, facial moles can be easily removed by one of two methods. One is a "shave excision" where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The other is an excision with suture closure which uses both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the proper technique.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Removing a mole from the face in Los Angeles

+1

Options include excision with layered closure or shave excision. Aftercare will include co2 laser and pulsed dye laser to improve results. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS