Mole Laser Removal, Will it Leave a Hole?

Hello, I'd like to remove mole on my face via laser, but I am afraid it will leave a hole. My friend has a hole on his face after laser removal, a small hole, where the mole was before.

Mole Removal with a Laser

+2

My general preference in removing a mole is using a #15 Bard Parker (scalpel). Lasers cause a certain amount of thermal damage to the skin.  This can be beneficial in some circumstances, but not for removing a mole.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

I would highly recommend that you have the mole biopsied prior to any laser treatment.  There may be other options for you besides laser to give you a better cosmetic result.  Without seeing a photo or seeing you in person, it is difficult to assess.

Sam Naficy, MD

Mole removal or mole biopsy with laser

+1

Laser mole removal works well if used conservatively and when no tissue biopsy is needed.  I would also recommend conservative mole excision, which can be performed with minimal scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Moles should not be removed with a laser

+1

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removals via laser

+1

True moles cannot be removed with lasers. There are skin conditions that work well to be treated with lasers, but moles aren't one. Also, destroying something with a laser (which is what a laser will do, destruction) isn't the best idea either - what if there's actually a problem with the lesion? We'd never know because it was simply destroyed! Removing true moles with scalpels is much better, as they can be evaluated properly.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD