Mole Laser Removal, Will it Leave a Hole?

Hello, I'd like to remove mole on my face via laser, but I am afraid it will leave a hole. My friend has a hole on his face after laser removal, a small hole, where the mole was before.

Mole Removal with a Laser

My general preference in removing a mole is using a #15 Bard Parker (scalpel). Lasers cause a certain amount of thermal damage to the skin.  This can be beneficial in some circumstances, but not for removing a mole.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

9407 Cypress Lake Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33919

Mole removal

I would highly recommend that you have the mole biopsied prior to any laser treatment.  There may be other options for you besides laser to give you a better cosmetic result.  Without seeing a photo or seeing you in person, it is difficult to assess.

Sam Naficy, MD

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Mole removal or mole biopsy with laser

Laser mole removal works well if used conservatively and when no tissue biopsy is needed.  I would also recommend conservative mole excision, which can be performed with minimal scar. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Moles should not be removed with a laser

I feel that it is never appropriate to use a laser as your primary treatment for removing a mole. Regardless of how "benign" a mole may appear, a biopsy may still reveal it to be atypical. There are many ways to surgically remove a mole with a minimal scar and have tissue to send for microscopic examination which is the only way to ensure that it was benign. Using a laser to improve the appearance of a mole will alter its look and make it more difficult to observe for precancerous changes in the future.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

325 Dorset Street
South Burlington, VT 05403

Mole removals via laser

True moles cannot be removed with lasers. There are skin conditions that work well to be treated with lasers, but moles aren't one. Also, destroying something with a laser (which is what a laser will do, destruction) isn't the best idea either - what if there's actually a problem with the lesion? We'd never know because it was simply destroyed! Removing true moles with scalpels is much better, as they can be evaluated properly.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8937 W Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89117