Molding Nose with Finger After Rhinoplasty?

I recently had surgery, Rhino/Septo to be exact. It's been about a week and a half and I saw my surgeon today. He is a very highly decorated surgeon, double board certified etc. etc. so I'm trying now to question him but he asked me to perform finger molding on one side of my nose that is larger by pushing it in with my thumb. I can't help but be a skeptic. I know in the regular world, this would be a complete waste of time. Considering the proximity to my surgery, is this a plausible?

Post Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

Post operative nasal exercises are sometimes given to patient's to help in the proper healing after the procedure. It sounds like you probably had osteotomies done and perhaps one side is not as "set" as the other. The surgeon is probably having you apply light pressure to the area during the healing process. Yes, you are correct prior to the surgery you would not be able to make these changes via "molding or applied exercises" however after the procedure and the nose has been broken it can help in the healing process. Discuss with your surgeon why he/she is asking you to do these exercises and I am sure there is a plausible reason. Your surgeon alone knows best what was done and where you are in the recovery phase. Follow your treating surgeons instructions and make frequent recheck appointments to help keep your peace of mind. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.