Can I Have Mohs Surgery While Pregnant?

I had a small white freckle on my nose,about 1mm,I had taken it out and got the results that its BCC. I have scheduled the Mohs surgery next week. However, I just found out that I am pregnant. Should I go through with the surgery, or should I wait till I give birth? Could the surgery affect the baby?

Mohs surgery and pregnancy

+1

The question of waiting is really dependent upon the location, type of severity of your skin cancer and time discovered at pregnancy. The more worrisome skin cancers should be treated rather than waiting. The issue with treatment during pregnancy is anesthesia and post op infections. If you have a post op infection, then you will need antibiotics . This then becomes a consideration and concern for it's affect on the fetus . Some of the same considerations are with breast feeding too. Anesthesia can be achieved with normal saline. I have used this adequately for treatment of many skin cancers too.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Mohs surgery and pregnancy

+1
Congratulations on your preganancy. Waiting more than nine months for treatment will make your non-life threatening skin cancer larger and the reconstruction more formidable.I usually confirm with obstetricians and pediatricians that local anesthetic is ok. Sometimes we do not use the adrenaline in the local depending on what the doctor says. Considering that there would also be an issue if you nurse post partum, doing the surgery now makes the most sense.

Ronald Shelton, MD