Mohs Surgery on my Scalp?

it has been three weeks since my surgery. can I leave the bandage off and just put Vaseline on the wound

Scalp Mohs recovery

+2

If there are no sutures involved and it is healing in on its own (called secondary intention healing) then it may take weeks to months to completely heal.  If that is the case, then you want to continue to provide wound care to the area with cleaning it, applying ointment, and a bandage.  If you had a graft repair done (such as a porcine graft) then you also may need to continue wound care.  If sutures are involved, then typically they are in for approximately two weeks and once they are removed, there is no further care required.  Always ask your doctor what instructions they want you to follow and make an appointment if it seems it isn't healing as expected. 

Seattle Dermatologist

Mohs Surgery Healing of Scalp

+1

Yes. Aquaphor or Vaseline or other emollient product would be great for wound healing at this point, in most cases. Check with your surgeon to be sure, but in most cases this is perfectly fine. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Moh's Surgery on Scalp

+1

It is hard to advise you here without knowing more details on what you had for reconstruction. If you have incisions usually I would say yes you can stop using an outer bandage. If you have a skin graft it may all be a different story. For this one ask your surgeon because I have no idea exactly what you had done. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Wound Care on the Scalp Following Mohs Surgery

+1

Your best option is to contact the doctor who performed the surgery and ask him/her for instructions. If the wound was repaired, sutures are usually removed in 2-3 weeks. If allowed to heal by secondary intention (i.e. heal in by itself), it may take longer. Instructions may differ. Best to talk to the doctor and see how they would like it handled.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Mohs surgery and caring for the area after surgery

+1

The care instructions depend on exactly what was done, was the area stitched up or was it left to heal on its own? Every Mohs surgeon has different opinions on post surgery care so it is best to contact your Mohs surgeon and ask them directly. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Mohs surgery on the scalp

+1

I would recommend you keep it covered at night, and out of the sun, so wear a hat. But for general purposes, you can leave the bandage off and continue to keep it moist with Polysporin or Vaseline.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD