Can MOHS Be Performed Under a Non Cancer Situation?

Hi, I am male, 30 years old. My nose have suffered from an unfortunate event and is now left with multiple deep scars on top of my nose. ( They look like deep scarred pores. ) After I have read and seen the before/after MOHS for nasal cancer patients, most of them healed with minimum or if not without any trace of scarring. I realized it might be the right procedure that can help me to minimize my scarred nose into a smoother looking nose. Is it possible for MOHS be done on me? Thanks

Mohs is not for scar removal

+2

Mohs is specifically used for tissue consevation and improved cure rate when removing skin cancers. The analysis in the laboratory is unique and provides 100% evaluation of the surgical margin. This would not be done for scar analysis, but certainly removing the scars with a narrow margin can be done without Mohs and reconstruction can be done as well for the scar revision.

Mohs for non cancerous concerns

+2

Mohs is designed for treating tumors.  The fact that you appreciate the skills of the Mohs surgeon to leave little or no scar is great but this is the reconstructive surgery skills part of Mohs surgery.  What you need is a good facial plastic surgeon (ENT trained) or Mohs surgeon or plastic surgeon who is skilled at reconstructive surgery.  You should be able to find one locally in San Francisco without a problem. Be sure to let them know what your problem / concerns are before booking the appointment.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Mohs vs Mohs Surgeon

+1

Mohs Micrographic Surgery is broken into two parts; (1) the excision of skin cancer which is examined under the microscope to ensure that the skin cancer is removed completely, and (2) reconstructive surgery which repairs the defect that is made after the cancer has been removed.  

So the question that you are really asking is can you have scar revisonal surgery performed by a Mohs surgeon  and the answer is YES. Fellowship trained (ACMS) Mohs surgeons are skilled in performing reconstructive surgery after cancer removal and also perform many other cosmetic procedures including scar revision. 

Mohs Surgeons often utilize ENT and plastic surgeons to help repair large defects. So my advice to you is to see a cosmetic surgeon (plastics, ENT or Mohs/dermatology) for consultation to help you decide what is the best option for you.

Ally-Khan Somani, MD
Indianapolis Dermatologic Surgeon

Mohs Surgery is not for scar removal

+1

Mohs surgery is a specialized form of surgical removal of skin cancer typically in high risk locations. It is not used for scar removal or any cosmetic surgery.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Mohs on scars

+1

Mohs is a procedure performed only on skin cancers. You can however see a Mohs surgeon and have scar remova/revison where the scar can be removed (without the looking under the microscope part of the procedure) and your nose can be reconstructed. I recommend finding a Mohs college trained physician to perform this

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist