Is MOHS Used for Bowens Disease on Lower Lip (When Caught Early)?

My lips were chapped this year, and I went to the dermatologist with a split that never would heal. He said it wasn't cancer, but he did the biopsy to rule it out, and it shows Bowens Disease. Since the biopsy, the place is not split anymore. Is MOHS recommended for Bowens (early stage)? I am 46 years old.

Laser an option for Bowen's

+1

Bowen's disease is a superficial form of SCC and can be successfully treated with laser ablation using a CO2 or Erbium laser 

Bowen's Disease on the Lower Lip

+1

Bowen's Disease is another name for Squamous Cell Carcinoma In Situ. This is a squamous cell carcinoma that is limited to the uppermost portion of the skin (the epidermis) although sometimes the abnormal cells can track down adnexal structures like hair follicles and oil glands.

Mohs micrographic surgery is useful for treatment of skin cancers where there is a need to preserve the greatest amount of healthy tissue such as eyelids, nose, ears and lips. So Mohs surgery would be a very good option for treatment of this skin cancer. It provides the highest cure rate and preserves the surrounding healthy tissue.

Andrew Kaufman, MD