What is a Modified Wedge Technique?

I cannot find any information on this technique on the internet. How is it perfomed? How is it different from a simple wedge technique? Thanks.

Modified Wedge Technique

+3

Because the simple wedge can lead to straight scar with contracture or contour irregularity, the modified wedge avoids this potential problem by adding Z type zigzags (opposing directions on inner and outer labia) so the entire scar is completely camouflaged, and barely detectable, if detectable at all.  Sensation is preserved, and pigment borders can still be perfectly aligned.  The modified wedge is my technique of choice and has consistently provided excellent aesthetic and functional results.

Modified Wedge

+1

Hi xray44,

The problem with using names for techniques is that there is not necessarily a general agreement as to what each word means.  A "wedge" usually refers to removing exactly that - a wedge - from the middle of the inner labia.  Modifying it simply means something other than just a wedge; it usually means some sort of an irregular or broken line to prevent a scar contracture.  Within that there are many different modifications and varieties and probably no two surgeons will do this exactly the same.  Unlike a part for an automobile (for example) there is wide variation in how each procedure is done by different surgeons.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty methods - wedge, modified wedge?

+1

A wedge excision means that you remove a triangle from the center of the labia to reduce the length of the labia minor.  This usually leaves a linear scar from the edge of the labia to the base where the labia minora meets the Labia majora.  A modified wedge, means the instead of leaving a linear scar, the orientation is changed or modified, like making a zig-zag for example.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

+1

There are plenty of websites advertising labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation out there, but not many that go into great detail describing their techniques.

Wedge and modified wedge methods involve a scar along the edge of the labia and into the labial tissue. The modified wedge method involves reorienting the scar using methods that result in a more favorable scar. Both techniques, however, still leave you with a scar along the outer edge of your labia, possibly altering sensation to that area.

The technique I prefer leaves no scar along the outer edge of the labia, but rather a small scar where the labia originates along the back edge. The technique is termed "Superior Pedicle Labia Reconstruction" by the plastic surgeons that developed the technique. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Depends upon the surgeon

+1

Modified means modified and I modify them depending upon the needs of the patient. Not to be cross, but part of what patients pay us for is expertise and experience. While I understand your desire to know what we do, you are best served asking a doctor you are considering what he or she might do for you.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty illustrations of various techniques

+1

I am attaching a PDF to a study in which I participated illlustrating the various techniques with drawings. This means a modification of the standard wedge with a pie shaped excision of the middle portions of the labia minora. Surgeons may "modify the excision making the scar curve towards the clitoral hood or zig-zag to avoid scar retraction or tethering.