Modified Tummy Tuck? Need Second Opinion?

During my consult with my PS he stated a concern that I probably would not have enough skin to do a "normal" full Tummy Tuck but I needed one due to the Laxity of my Abdominal Muscles. He stated that my incision would look like a full tummy tuck but that my "Old" Belly Button would be visable above my panty line. He said the scars would not connect but would be close to a T incision. Is this something normally done. I am 5'6" and 138 pounds. I have excess skin from my 200 lb pregnancy.

Modified tummy Tuck? Vertical Scar?

+1

Difficult to tell without your pics and an exam, I would recommend that if you are unsatisfied with your consultation, seek and additional consultation. You may decide that you are happy with your first consultation, good luck!

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

+1

During the course of a tummy tuck the surgeon removes the skin between the belly button and the lower abdominoplasty incision.

When there is not a great deal of skin laxity the options are as follows:

1. the surgeon brings the lower incision higher, so he or she can still close the open area at the end of the operation. This produces a final tummy tuck scar that sits higher on the abdomen; or

2. the surgeon makes the lower incision lower on the tummy. The upper incision will have to pass below the belly button, since there would not be enough loose skin to close the wound if the upper incision went all the way up to the belly button. The old belly button opening would be pulled lower on the tummy and is closed as a short vertical scar that sits above the lower tummy tuck scar.

In such cases I ask my patients to choose between a higher abdominoplasty scar versus a lower scar with an additional short vertical scar where the umbilicus used to exit.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.vancouvercosmeticsurgery.ca

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

It is not possible to give you precise advice with out examination or viewing pictures. I would agree with the other respondents that a  second opinion in person will be your best option.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

TT with a vertical scar

+1

I agree with my fellow colleagues-it sounds like you would benefit from a second opinion. In all the years that I have practiced, I have yet needed to add a vertical scar to any of my TTs.

Dr. H

Web reference: http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/weight-loss-surgery-as-systems-engineering

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with vertical scar component

+1

Please get at least one more opinion from a board-certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery).  Your history of weight-loss, as well as height and weight seems to indicate that the vertical component of the scar may not be needed.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Second opinion

+1

Without seeing photos or examining you it would be very difficult to tell.  It is quite rare not to be able to remove the excess skin after a 60# weight gain from pregnancy.  Why not seek out a second plastic surgery opinion before proceeding.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon