What Does a "Belt Lipectomy with Abdominoplasty" Entail?

I'm scheduled for a belt lipectomy with abdominoplasty on October 29th. I know what a belt lipectomy is and I know what an abdominoplasty is. What would the procedure entail when it states "belt lipectomy with abdominoplasty"? (little background: I'm a gastric bypass patient 2.5 years out and lost over 265 lbs, I also know every surgeon is different, just trying to get an idea before my pre-op appointment)

Belt lumpectomy

+1

It is easy to see why there is some confusion, so I'll simplify it for you.  A standard abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, removes the loose skin from the front of the tummy and extends out to the hips.  A belt like tommy takes the skin removal much farther, extending it all the way around the back.  It goes all the way around ( just like a belt does ).  Given your history of weight loss I am not surprised that your surgeon has recommended the belt like tony in addition to a standard tummy tuck.  It is, however, a bigger procedure, with a scar that goes all the way around your waist.  You can also expect that the procedure will take about 2 hours longer and also cost more.  Good luck,

Belt Lipectomy With Abdominoplasty Probably = Body Lift

+1

It sounds as if you are having a body lift, especially since you have had a 265 pound weight loss.  You should never schedule a surgery that you do not understand, however.  If a surgeon is too busy to answer all of your questions before you schedule, leave and find someone who is willing to answer ALL questions.

John Whitt, MD

Many different terms for abdominal/waist contouring

+1

Thank you for the question.  There are many terms used for abdominal and waist contouring that involves an incision all of the way around the waist including circumferential abdominoplast/tummy tuck , belt lipectomy, lower body lift, tummy tuck and buttock lift, etc.  The name is not as important as what is accomplished during surgery.  It will be important to discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon and to understand what your plastic surgeon will do during surgery to accomplish that goal.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Belt lipectomy, does it include abdopminoplasty?

+1

OK - I have a theory here -belt lipectomy is a removal of a ring of skin and fat around your whole body. But when we do an abdominoplasty, we also tighten the abdominal wall (rectus diastasis repair) and move the umbilicus. So maybe the plastic surgeon is trying to be clear he/she is doing both. Ask your surgeon if he or she will do a better abdominoplasty if performed without the belt lipectomy - I for one have noticed I get much more skin off the stomach when I can really be aggressive with the abdominal skin at the time of surgery, and I don't have to worry that as I put the patient into more of a sitting position to really pull the skin down that I will rip my back incision.

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD

Belt lipectomy

+1

Belt lipectomy refers to removal of excess skin and body fat from the abdomen and back in a circumferential manner. Some physician refer to belt lipectomy to the part of the procedure describing the back only and use the term abdominoplasty for the front. Your physician is trying to be clear that you are having both areas treated and not just one.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Belt Lipectomy

+1

A Belt Lipectomy is a surgery that includes an Abdominoplasty and a Buttock Lift. So, when one says that they are having a "Belt Lipectomy" or they are having an "Abdominoplasty and a Buttock Lift," they are describing same surgery. During a Belt Lipectomy incisions are made around the entire circumference of the lower abdomen and lower back/upper buttocks. The extra skin that resulted from weight loss is removed from the abdomen, as well as, from the upper buttocks. The resulting scar will run around the lower torso.

Thank you for your question and best of luck with with your surgery!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Belt lipectomy with abdominoplasty

+1

The field of body contouring after significant weight loss is relatively new, within the last 10 years and terminology has not been standardized in the community. The belt lipectomy is a removal of skin and fat in a belt like distribution around the waist. This is a circumferential procedure which includes the abdominoplasty as one part of the operation. This is generally an older term as this procedure was described a long time ago and historically made little impact on the thigh.

A lower body lift was described by Dr Lockwood roughly 20 years ago and this operation will address the areas that concern you as well as improving the appearance of the outer thigh.

I would encourage you to speak with your board certified plastic surgeon so that you understand exactly what is being proposed. The words have a very specific meaning to me but as I mentioned they have not been standardized.

I hope this was helpful and good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Belt Lipectomy Abdominoplasty

+1

Some terms defy universally recognized definitions. 

The best definition for your particular case will come from your surgeon.

Some use the term belt lipectomy to define a procedure that includes a standard abdominoplasty that is continued all the way around the back to remove excess tissue from the entire circumference of the torso, with an incision approximating the position of a belt. 

Some use the term to refer to the posterior portion only of that just described procedure. 

Some prefer the term "lower body lift" (LBL) again sometimes meaning the combined procedure, some meaning only the posterior portion.

In your case, it seems that your surgeon defined the belt lipectomy as the posterior extension only since he/she lists both.

Sorry if that doesn't clear up these vague definitions. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.