What to Plastic Surgeon in the Consultation?

I searched a lot and found very good ENT surgeons. But I cannot get operated by my two top choices because I can't afford their outrageous prices.. I also found a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has very good before and after pictures on his website. Any tips on what I should ask the Plastic Surgeon in the consultation. Again I want to get a Primary Rhinoplasty.. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Choosing a surgeon

+2

Remember that rhinoplasty is not only an aeshetic procedure, but a functional one as well. The surgeon must be an expert in both regards. Even if you don't have breathing difficulties to be addressed at the time of surgery, you also don't want to develop any afterwards as a result. I understand economics can be an issue, but when choosing your surgeon, do focus on his/her qualifications, experience and results. First ensure that the surgeon is board certified in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery or Otolaryngology.  Next, how many cases over how many years has the surgeon performed rhinoplasty. Then, ask to see results... Before and after photos are helpful because they will demonstrate the surgeon's aesthetic eye/ideals and whether or not they are in concordance with yours.  For a more personalized effect, some surgeons also have computer software which will use your photo to simulate your postoperative result... this allows you to visualize the change you could experience. These images by no means guarantee the result you will have, but definitely give you an idea. There are many skilled surgeons, so my last piece of advice is to go with your gut... Did you feel comfortable in your consultation? Did the surgeon inspire your trust and confidence? Did you have good rapport and were your questions answered to your satisfaction? Rhinoplasty is elective surgery, you have time to find the surgeon that best suites your needs :)

Make sure he does a lot of rhinoplasty procedures and has good results - not all plastic surgeons do

+2

There are a lot of questions you should ask the plastic surgeon of your choice during your first consultation for the rhinoplasty procedure. First of all make sure he is a board certified in plastic surgery. Asking about his credentials is important to make sure you are in good hands. It is always great to ask for before and after pictures.  He should have lots of them if you are looking for an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Words are easy results count. Definitely it gives you an instant idea what kind of results you can expect. Patients ask also about the number of procedures of this kind done per year. Do not forget go over the recovery time and potential risks involved. Hopefully you will be able to have the computer simulation done which allows patients to have an idea what can be done and  what are the limitations in your  case.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Rhinoplasty surgeons

+2

Dear Spy47,

• It sounds like you are doing your research
  • Finding a surgeon for the right price is also a balancing act
  • The best way is to look at before and after pictures and then interview surgeons
  • You may have to shop around for a good price, and it's definitely possible

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Rhinoplasty Consultation

+2

The other panel surgeons are correct in that finding out about the doctor's credentials is a key part of choosing a surgeon.  At the same time, you should have a very good understanding of the procedure yourself.  That will allow you to ask questions which will more specifically provide answers to concerns you may have.  Please take a look at the link below. Best, RB

Ramin Behmand, MD

Plastic surgeon for rhinoplasty

+2

Website photos while good to see do not always reflect the variety of work that is done in the office. I have a hard time getting patients to allow me to post their facial photos on my website.They just don't want people to know they had work done.  Going for consultation is a good idea and getting comfortable with the doctor and perhaps seeing more photos in the office is helpful as well.

Things to ask a Plastic Surgeon in your consultation.

+2

When seeing a plastic surgeon for a rhinoplasty consultation or any other procedure, first do your homework.  Check to see if the doctor is Board Certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties, and further by which Board - Plastic Surgery, ENT, etc.  Ask their office for the doctor's  CV, which will usually include where the doctor did his training, where he/she has hospital privileges, and medical societies to which they belong.   You can also check with your local or state medical societies to see if your doctor has any outstanding complaints,legal issues, etc.   Before the consultation, be certain to write down all the specific questions you would like to have answered.

At the consultation, let the doctor know what you believe are the problems you would like to have improved and ask to see before and after photos of similar patients to your own situation.  Ask, yourself, if you would be happy if you were one of the patients whose photos you have just seen.   Does the doctor answer your questions and does he/she make you feel comfortable in your relationship with them?  With regard to costs/pricing, be certain to get a written estimate of your procedure including operating room and anesthesia costs.  Some doctors fees are set and not negotiable, others may be willing to negotiate costs, especially if you have a written quote from another doctor.   In my practice, as well as many others I know, I will not purposely underbid my colleagues, but I try to price my services competitively.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Good question, I'll try to answer

+2

Good question, it sounds like you have done some homework.  Why would you ask any different questions of an ENT than you would a plastic surgeon.  Depending upon their training many ENT'sd are trained in facial plastic surgery and Plastic Surgeons very well trained in Rhinoplasty  and all aspects of facial plastic surgery.  Sometimes you hjave to go with your gut and what you see in before and afters.  Good Luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty consultations and choosing a surgeon

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure is the most difficult procedure to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery.  You should go to a surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty procedures.  Experience in the field of rhinoplasty is of utmost importance, so do not shop around for surgeons simply based on price.

Photos

+1

ENT or plastic surgeon does not make a difference because in both specialties there are those that do good work.  The more important issue is the before/after photos: 1. make sure they show you a lot (at least 40) before/after photos, 2. make sure they show you at least 3 views (front, quarter turn and profile) views from each patient, 3.  ask to speak to a patient or two who recently had surgery with the doctor.  The doctor's work should speak for him/herself.

Andre Aboolian, MD