Moderate Vs. Full Profile on Petite Frame, Which Do You Recommend?

I am debating between two options: 240cc moderate profile or 265cc full profile. Both would be silicone, under the muscle. I am petite: 5'2", 108 lbs with a narrow chest. While I am looking for a more natural, well-proportioned look, I am leaning towards high profile given 1) it seems to fit better with my narrow frame; 2) it has a nice shape and looks less "smushed"; 3) it is more compact and less spread out. I am, however, nervous that it may look fake or trashy. What would you recommend?

Implant size selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Profile irrelevant

+1

When implants are placed retro-pectoral, muscle compression determines the projection not the profile of the implant.  The difference between 240 cc and 265 cc is so small that it would be imperceptible.  Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs but you may be a candidate for a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to place the implant, reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall gives maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Small silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are less likely to ripple and are more stable long term. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

Without photos and breast measurements, it is most unlikely that anyone would be willing to offer such specific advice. Even with all that info, this advice is much better given in the setting of an in person evaluation and exam. 

All the best. 

Mod vs high profile breast implant

+1

I think you are being reasonable and the results you desire are achievable! Rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present.  In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Plastic surgeon should decide on breast implant profile.

+1

Hi.

Really, this is an important part of what you pay your surgeon for.  We use moderate PLUS profile implants on most women, but you really need to individualize.  Your surgeon can put in sterile disposable implant SIZERS of different profiles during surgery to see which looks best, before making a final decision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant choices

+1

25 cc differences in implants is not a lot . The profile chosen however really depends upon your antomical shape.  This can only be determined by an exam in person.

Cleavage or projection?

+1

Dear Kate 1,

At the risk of answering a question with a question, you need to ask yourself whether you would prefer more cleavage or more forward projection of your breasts.  The answer to your moderate vs high profile breast implant lies in your answer to that question.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with  meaningful specific advice.  Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be necessary. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as "fake or trashy” or “natural”  or “C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Choosing the right size breast implant

+1

Choosing the right size implant is important, and there are many different ways of doing that. 

That said, 25cc of difference is not much in the scheme of things. If your surgeon could have you try on a sizer inside a sports bra, I find it really helps my patients see in the mirror how that particular volume would look on them.

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon

+1

A 25 cc difference in volume will not be noticeable.  In addition, both implants are very small, and I would not worry about looking fake.  The average volume for breast augmentation is 350 cc in the US.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA