Would Moderate or High Profile Saline Implants Be Better for my Deflated Breasts?

I am a 21 y/o mother of 2. I am 5'7 and 132 lbs. I've breastfed both of my children and now I am getting a breast augmentation to get the volume back in my breasts. My PS told me he wanted to use high profile 375 cc saline implants and told me it would give me good projection yet a natural look with natural slope. I told him I didn't want them to look extremely fake and he said he uses HP on 90% of his patients. Since I do have extra skin would the HP implant be better?

High profile implants and low, deflated breasts

I strongly disagree with the answers that suggest that you can judge this issue with external bra stuffing. I also disagree that a higher profile or higher volume implant will lift the breast more. Also, if implants are sized properly (to the width of the breast), a high profile implant will also have more volume and will make the breast look about a half cup larger than a moderate profile implant even though they have the same base diameter and fill to the same height. 

Breast implants are just pillow volume and don't lift or reposition or even stretch or distort the breast if they are sized and positioned properly. You have a low on the chest, borderline ptotic (sagging) breast. It looks like an implant can still be placed behind it without a lift procedure and the breast will look lifted as it's filled out but it will not rise on the chest and the extra forward volume of a high profile implant will likely make the upper pole of the breast look too forward rounded and thus fake. If you had a high-on-the-chest, round breast of the same size then a high profile saline implant (Allergan) would make the breast look two cup sizes larger but would look more natural. 

In a low, volume-loss breast like yours I would recommend a subpectoral medium profile implant (saline: Allergan or Mentor) and increase by one and a half cup sizes and still look natural. You will be easily able to feel the implant on the underside of the breast but less so on the side and not at all in the part covered by the pectoralis muscle. This can be done through a 2 cm incision in the center of the inframammary crease where the crease can be predicted to end up after the procedure. One other possible choice is Mentor's moderate plus saline-filled implant which, scaled for the width, is exactly half way between a moderate and a high profile saline implant (Allergan's, not Mentor's) in both volume and forward projection. 

Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Implant profile

Good question.  I prefer High profile implant to moderate or low profile ones for the reason your plastic surgeon gave:  More projection, less width.  Some mistakenly believe that high profile implants lead to a "fake look."  What really matters are your breast measurements.  Based upon the photos you provided, your breasts have a narrow base.  You certainly would not want an implant that is wider than your breast.  And A high profile implant will yield more projection and less width than other low or moderate profile.  Good luck!!

Jason R. Hess, MD

High Profile Saline Breast Implants for Deflated Breast

Thank you for your question. Your Plastic Surgeons advice sounds reasonable.

However be aware that Breast Implants DO NOT lift the Breast. Implants restore volume and can project or push the Breast forward.

You do have Ptosis or sagging. Because of that I would not recommend a Sub muscular implant placement for fear of "Snoopy Deformity."

I would only do a Sub glandular (under the breast gland) placement.

If you want Sub muscular Implants you will need a Breast Lift as well. See my blog in the link below.

High profile breast implants

Natee,

The "deflated" look that you refer to is called ptosis or sagging of your breasts due to the excess stretched out skin.  Implants can refill the lost volume of your breasts, but cannot fix the sagging skin unless a very large implant is placed.  High profile implants tend to "lift" the breasts better than moderate or moderate plus profile implants as well.  So, some times you can get enough lift with a large, high profile implant to correct a mild ptosis.  Good luck!

Breast implant : high vs moderate profile

A high profile implant always looks more fake then a lower profile implant.  Because you have such significant deflation (I would love to see your old pictures for comparison), I would also consider a lift.  Without a lift you may find that you have saggy breasts. 

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Implant profile depends on desired size and other factors

There are different ways to appraoch the question, but I think most would agree that one of the most important factors is to match the base diameter of the implant to the patient's pre-existing breast diameter. If the implant is too wide it will be squeezed in and ripple more, too small and there will be a gap between the breasts. The next factor to consider is the desired size, and I believe the patient should have some meaningful input into this decision. Once you know the size you want and have the measurement of the breast diameter, the profile is determined.

Richard Baxter, MD

High profile better?

In my opinion, you choose the profile based on the kind of breast shape you want, not because it might fill up loose skin better.  The high profile implant gives a very round, more obvious look....and not everybody likes that.  

In our practice, where we give women this choice, only 25% of women choose the HP implant.

High profile saline breast implant

My vote is for a moderate profile saline breast implant in a submuscular location. The high profile implant in saline behaves like an early capsular contracture with a rounded appearance. Imagine the high profile implant when you are on you back, perhaps by the pool. The issue comes down to aesthetics, what you like. Many surgeons like high profile implants, more projecting. We prefer the implant to project and flow more naturally within the breast, not less width more projection. Especially with the loose skin envelop such as you have. Choose carefully.

peterejohnsonmd

HP vs MP

A high profile implant will lift the breast slightly.  A moderate profile will give you a little more upper pole fullness.  No matter which you select will both will give you a very nice result since you are not going with too large an implant. I would recommend a dual plane approach ie the upper half of the implant under the muscle and the lower half under the breast tissue.  This approach will fill out your tissues more satisfactorily and help prevent the breast tissue from falling over the implant.  Look at photos of someone your height and weight with similar breast tissue to help you decide what look you would prefer.  Good luck.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Sounds like a reasonable option

A high profile implant will give more projection with the same volume than a lower profile implant.  The decision depends on your measurements and how much skin laxity you have.  What your surgeon is recommending is quite reasonable,  judging solely from the photos.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon