Moderate or High Profile? PS Recommended High Profile but I Want to Look Natural? (photo)

I am 5'3", 27" ribcage, 110 lbs, size 32AA (but I wear a 34 A- I don't like the look of AA's because the cups tend to be very narrow and close together. I want as natural a look as possible and am going very small- round, silicone, under the muscle,170-200 cc. My PS mostly uses HP implants which is what he recommended. When I tried on the sizers I tried a moderate 200cc (too big) and 170cc high profile (which I liked). They ordered a 170 cc moderate and 190 cc moderate sizer for me to try.

High profile implants fit better a narrow chest

+2
It appears that you are a petite woman.  Because of your narrow chest size, a high profile implant (narrower than medium profile) probably best fits your body.  As to the 'natural' look, at 170-190 size I don't think you will look un-natural
Martin Jugenburg, MD
Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Implant Selection Process

+1

I would recommend a high profile implant under the muscle.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Natural looking breast augmentation

+1

For someone with your petite build,  I would suggest a high profile implant. With the smaller diameter of a high profile implant, more projection can be obtained with less material than would be needed in  a moderate profile. In order to achieve as natural a result as possible, you want any obvious signs of the implant to be minimized (like the implant sitting too wide in your armpit, rippling effects of the implant, etc). I'm glad you mentioned going under the muscle with a silicone gel implant. This will help minimize the risk of rippling, which is more likely in someone who starts out with little breast tissue. The base diameter of the implant also needs to match your chest width to prevent the implant from sitting out in your armpit. Therefore, a smaller base diameter implant, like a high profile one (high profile talks about amount of projection out from the breast) might better suit your needs.  Good luck    

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Breast augmentation and correct implant choice

+1

If you like the look of the 170's then I think you answered your own question.  Good luck with your surgery!

Moderate or High Profile? PS Recommended High Profile but I Want to Look Natural?

+1

I absolutely agree that a high profile is a better option in your case. But you need to be fully on board with your surgeon. So go discuss this issue again with him. 

Moderate or High Profile (170 cc to 200cc) for Breast Augmentation

+1

The average size implant placed in the US is 350 cc.  Therefore, this is a small implant.  The difference in base diameter between moderate and high profile at this volume is very small.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Moderate vs High Priofile Breast Implants

+1

Since you are looking for a more natural result, you may want to consider the Allergan 410 implants which may give you a more natural breast slope. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast implant profiles

+1

Because your starting point has almost no breast tissue, you will basically look like the chosen implant.  A HP implant will look fuller, rounder, and less "natural than an moderate.  But if you are tiny, you might need the HP just to get the size change you are wanting.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation, narrow frame

+1

I agree that you would benefit from a high profile implant.  You are a great candidate and I think you will have fantastic results from an augmentation.  The only difference between the same size implants that are moderate or high profile is that the base of the implant is more narrow for the high profile implant.  This keeps the implant on your frame and has more projection out front rather than on the sides (or in your armpits).  Good luck! K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

The Natural Look

+1

A narrow breast diameter that projects significantly from the chest wall is what you'll get with a higher profile implant.  As Dr. Pousti points out, the concept of 'natural' is in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes showing your surgeon pictures will help.  A softer, fuller breast will be created with an intermediate projecting implant.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS