I Have Moderate 350cc, but with Capsule Contracture. I Want to Switch to High Profile? (photo)

I had my augmentation done April 14, 2012. My size is 350cc, moderate, and saline. My cup size is currently a small 32 DD. I originally wanted a full C. But after surgery, my doctor explained it's a large cup due to prior breast tissue/ my natural breast is large in circumference. Also, my breasts look flat although my cup is large. I'm 5'1, slim body type. I'm considering on getting high profile silicone. I'm not sure what size to get, does having my current size effect the skins elasticity?

I Have Moderate 350cc, but with Capsule Contracture. I Want to Switch to High Profile?

+3

350 cc implants are not particularly wide in diameter and will fit virtually any woman's anatomy.  Your implants appear to be very wide.  You could have the capsule removed and the implants switched to high profile implants of a smaller volume if you desire.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revision procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Your cup spilleth over.

+3

Kharmaly,

You have a very petite body and very large breasts.  It does appear that you may have a capsular contracture on the left displacing that implant higher.  I am not sure why you are considering high profile implants as your breasts are FAR from flat.  Unless there is something we are missing by not seeing a lateral view photograph.  I am also confused about your initial goal being a full C cup.  If you are a DD now with 350cc implants, you must have been a full C cup naturally.  If you were my patient, I would probably recommend an open capsulotomy to lower the left implant and that is it.  The more we surgically violate the breast, or anything for that matter, the higher the risks for adverse results and the more difficult it becomes to re-operate in the future if needed.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Achieving Goals with Revision Breast Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Frankly, after reading your question, I remain unclear as to exactly what your goals are. I think it will be very important for you to clarify your goals for yourself and communicate these goals carefully with your plastic surgeon.  In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures;  I find these pictures to be helpful during the communication process.  Often, after viewing a patient's goal pictures, a full discussion of “realistic expectations” is also important.

If, for example, your breasts are too large  for you at this point, downsizing of breast implants probably along with capsulorraphy ( closing off the breast implant capsule space)  may be a good option.  In other words, positioning of the breast implants, not just breast implant size/profile, should be taken into consideration as well.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about revisionary breast surgery.

Switching to high profile implants

+1

First, cup size relates to the volume of your breasts whether it be your volume or the volume of the implants plus your volume.  If you want to go to a smaller cup size, just put in a smaller volume implant the next time around.  Also, bra manufacturers don't have standard cup sizes so no one can guarantee you a particular cup size.  It all depends on where you buy your bras.  We can only put you in the general ballpark of what you want.

You did not mention if your implants are above or below your chest muscle.  Your right breast looks quite good in the picture, however, your left side is obviously distorted.  Capsular contractures are a bigger risk when implants are placed above the chest muscle.  When implants are placed below the muscle, the muscle acts as a barrier to bacteria that can reside in the breast tissue and may contribute to capsular contracture.  Also, as the muscle moves over an implant, it massages the implant and may help decrease the risk of capsular contractures.  If your implants are above the chest muscle then I would suggest changing them to under the chest muscle.  If you simply remove the capsular contracture and put the implants back in the same pocket then you haven't really changed anything and there is a high liklihood that you will get another capsular contracture down the road sometime.

I'm not sure why you want to switch to a high profile implant.  You seem to have a nice result on the right side with your current implant.  I'm not sure why you would want to change that.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Switch to high profile implants?

+1

Your implants look a bit wide for  you body and you may want to go with a different profile to improve the overall shape once the capsular contracture is treated.  Good luck.

What profile

+1

If you downsize in volume to achieve your desired C cup, your dimensions of the implant will also shrink, improving the space between your breasts.   Discuss your concerns with your surgeon so he/she will know what your expectations are.  If you're wanting projection, a vertical tuck would help make your nipples more pointy rather than as you currently describe, but that means scarring.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

Are you sure you did not have a post operative hematoma on the left? Appears larger. Or were you asymmetric pre operatively. Best to obtain a few IN PERSON second opinions before considering additional surgery.