Model with Symmastia - Can I Pop or Drain my Saline Implant?

I have Symmastia I was going to have my ex surgeon repair it but... I just simply cant trust him. Is there anyway I can pop my implant, and let it heal. I am pretty desperate at this point... I cant wear bras to hold up my breasts from because the middle comes up and gives me blisters. its poping the implant a good idea? is it safe how would I do it? Would my breasts look Normal. I model for a living. I cant model right now due because of my problem

Breast Implant Revision - Model with Symmastia - Can I Pop or Drain my Saline Implant?

+2

Well, you can, but I would NOT advise it.

There are many potential problems with you doing it yourself, including infection and other issues.  However, defalting saline implants is, in general, a perfectly acceptable thing to do (by a plastic surgeon, of course).  They can then be removed at another time; I am not aware of any known risks (ie, medical) associated with leaving a deflate implant in place.

You will then look more or less the way you did before, except that you'll have the deflated implants in place.  Furthermore, the larger the implants were and the longer they were in place, the greater the possibliity that your skin will be stretched and will ultimately need to be corrected.

There are many ways to address symmastia.  Most include placing the implants in a different site (move from above to below the pocket) and/or add additional material, such as acellular dermal matrix (ADM) like Alloderm or Strattice.  That is a more complicated issue.

So, in the short-term you can HAVE the implants deflated, but I would not advise that you do it yourself.  And since it's not an emergency, you have plenty of time to go for a few consults until you find a surgeon you're comfortable with.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Symmastia

+2

I understand why you are feeling like you are but please don't deflate the implants yourself.  You can cause more problems for yourself by doing that. If you are not confident with your surgeon, please do some research and find someone you are comfortable with.  Yes, symmastia repair is tricky and no one will ever guarantee perfection but I have had success with improving the results of many symmastia patients and so have other surgeon's who have experience with performing this procedure.  IF cost is an issue and you want to  have the implants deflated, then I suggest having a plastic surgeon do it for you (cost shouldn't be too much) and you will reduce the potential risks compared to doing it yourself. I am sorry that you are going through this.

Breast Revision

+1

I recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, establish a relationship, then look at all of your options.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia Repair

+1

Symmastia occurs when the implants are placed too close together obliterating the natural cleavage area.  Although it is a difficult problem, repairing is possible with someone experienced in complex breast revisions.  It involves redefining the implant pockets and reforming the cleavage area usually using acellular dermal matrix, a biocompatible material to support your tissues.  

Self deflating your implants will not solve the problem since the implants are still in your body and improperly positioned.  This will only put you at great risk of developing a serious infection that will cause additional complications.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Self deflation of breast imPlants?

+1
I would NOT recommend that you self deflate your implants. Any plastic surgeon could do this for you in their office. Don't be discouraged. Correction of your symmastia is possible but difficult. Perhaps your original plastic surgeon could refer you to another surgeon if you have lost confidence. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

You can have your implants deflated if they are saline

+1
I am sorry about your experience with breast augmentation. If you are not ready to fix them, you can have your plastic surgeon deflate your implants under local anesthesia. They will look worse for two week and after that will look the way your breast was before surgery. I have been doing this in combination of fat grafting for 5 years and you can check my web site for examples. You can leave the deflated implants till you ready for corrective surgery.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia repair requires surgical expertise

+1

Symmastia, which occurs when breast implants are too close together so the skin tents up between the breasts, is a problem that requires a surgical repair in order to get it right. Deflating the implants is not a good idea and could lead to complications. Things to consider with symmastia repair include diameter of the implants, which cannot be wider than the base diameter of the breasts; how to reinforce the pocket repair so the symmastia doesn't recur; and selecting a surgeon who has the relevant experience to do it.

Richard Baxter, MD

Symmastia

+1

I understand your concern regarding your breasts appearance.  However, it is not a good idea for you to blindly try to rupture your implants.  The chance of infection, or other complications are high.  I suggest if you do feel comfortable with your surgeon do find another in your area.  Good luck.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Deflating saline implants for symmastia

+1

Ms. Veri, I am sorry to hear about your problem after breast augmentation.  Symmastia can happen after breast augmentation. There are several options to correct the symmatia depending on how the augmentation was performed originally. If you do not trust your plastic surgeon, talk to other family and friends for a recommendation on a good plastic surgeon.  Make sure that she/he is board-certified by American Board of Plastic Surgeon.  Meanwhile, I would strongly advise you not to self-deflate the implants.  Removing the saline implants is relatively simple.  Your plastic surgeon or other plastic surgeon should be able to remove them.  Self-deflating of saline can give you infection, bleeding, pain, and possible pneumothorax.

Sugene Kim, MD

Please leave the sharps alone

+1

Ariana: Please do not try to deflate your saline implants.  You could sustain a variety of complications, none of which you should bring upon yourself. 

Your profession as a model demands physical "perfection", so I do understand your predicament.  If finances are a concern, you might consider applying to be one of the cosmetic patients in the resident's clinic at one of the many great programs in Houston.  You would benefit from having an experienced Board Certified Academic surgeon supervise your care, as well as potentially more economic fee.

Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD