Should I Consider a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I have with diet and exercise whittled myself down from a 24 to18 and total of 60 lb weight loss after a c-section that left me totally out of shape and sagging skin. My goal is to be a fit 10/12. The more I lose and exercise my stomach seams to get worse and my breast they have been a problem since 10 years of age. Lol I have a hard time working out and no clothes fit properly. Do you have any advise or is it Mommy Makeover time? Happy I have come this far but desperate to feel great again!

#MommyMakeover planning for obese patients

+1

Your body mass index is over 33 - which correlates with increased risk of post operative complications such as seroma, delayed wound healing and other problems. Consider losing some additional weight before embarking on this substantial cosmetic surgical procedure. It certainly is possible to do a tummy tuck and breast reduction in your case, but there are extra risks.

Congratulations on your progress

+1

We all know about hitting a "wall". I agree with most of the surgeons that answered. I might add that a good abdominal muscle tightening often will give you a sense of early satiety forcing you to eat smaller  (more physiologic) meals at least for the first few months. This often boosts your weight loss after the surgery!

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

"Mommy makeover" rejuvenates the abdomen and breasts following having children.  The procedures may include, abdominoplasty, breast lift (mastopexy) and/or breast augmentation.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Excellent Candidate For Mommy Makeover

+1

Congrats on the weight loss!  I agree with the other doctors.  You are an excellent candidate for a Mommy Makeover.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Whatever

+1

Hey there,

Yes, as the other doctors stated previously, you would be a good candidate. However, be proud of how far you've come! A mommy makeover will certainly help you achieve the body you want and help remove the sagging skin but surgery has some downsides it is important to review these first and ensure you are ready for the next step.

Patricia Yugueros, MD

Good candidate for mommy makeover.

+1

After pregnancy in weight loss the the remaining aesthetic byproducts of excess skin and ptotic breasts make you good candidate for mommy makeover which should yield a very dramatic result.

Mommy Makeover Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished thus far.

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, does not smoke, is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Achieve your long-term stable weight prior to undergoing body contouring surgery. Doing so will help minimize the risks of the procedure and improve the long-term outcome. Also, by achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding, you will help minimize the need for additional surgery down the line.

I have also attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go mommy makeover surgery:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.

Safe weight for mommy makeover

+1

Your best results and safest surgery for mommy makeover would be if your BMI is less than 30. Once you get there you will be able to achieve stable long term results with a breast reduction/lift and tummy tuck.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ultimate Mommy Makeover

+1

You are an excellent candidate for The Ultimate Breast Lift and Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.  The Ultimate Breast Lift will reshape your breast creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  At the same time, your breast can be reduced to the size you desire.  This technique relieves neck, back and shoulder pain by transferring the weight of the breast to the underlying muscle.  This technique, unlike the anchor incision technique, maintains nipple sensation, the ability to breast feed and avoids the ugly vertical scars.  Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement is a new technique that reduces weight and maintains the reduced weight by producing early satiety and increase energy expenditure.  This technique augments the strength of the abdominal wall, creates an hourglass figure and is more stable long term.      

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

Continue weight loss for another 20 pounds than seek IN PERSON evaluations from boarded PSs in your city.