3 Months Post Mommy Make Over?

ishhh. its been 3 mnths and i feel its very slow cause i still look like i am pregnant . my doctor is telling me its going to be ok but i still think there is some fluid under the skin. my q is that should i get a second opinion or its too soon to tell.

Swelling may take many months to totally result after mommy makeover.

+2

The combination of operations the makes it a mommy makeover dictates a fairly protracted convalescence relative to swelling. It will be a number of months until the final outcome has been established.

Mommy Makeover

+2

Everyone recovers differently but usually results become apparent by about 3 months. I would discuss this with your surgeon and continue to wear compression garments . I have had a few patients who have had prolonged swelling. Hard to say what the cause was but all have resolved by 6 months.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 3 months post op abdominoplasty

+2

Swelling is obviously normal after an abdominoplasty.  This can be either soft tissue swelling or a collection of fluid under the skin.   It really requires an examination to understand the issue at hand. If you are just not getting answers from your surgeon it is always an option to ask him for a second opinion or get one on your own.  

Swelling

+1

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. It can take at least 6-8 weeks for your swelling to resolve, sometimes much longer if extensive liposuction or tissue removal was performed.  Continue with your compression garments and followup with your surgeon as scheduled.  I'm sure you'll love your results once you are fully healed!

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

+1

You state it has been 3 months since your Tummy Tuck.  At this point, the swelling should have subsided.  You are still healing, and will be for months, but you should not look pregnant. Discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon, and let him know your concerns.  Wearing the compression garment should help reduce the swollen tissue, also.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+1

As always, it is best to be seen in person ( by your plastic surgeon) for precise diagnosis and treatment. Otherwise, as you mentioned, second opinion in-person consultations ( as opposed to online consultation)  would be necessary.

Abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:
1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.
2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 
3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.
4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.
Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.