Will a Breast Reduction Help with Acid Reflux Flare Ups?

I am curious if the weight of heavy breasts increases acid reflux symptoms. My symptoms feel better when I am not wearing a bra, but not a lot and I find myself lifting them to alleviate some of the discomfort. I haven't seen this question asked here before, so maybe it's just me.

Acid reflux and breasst reduction

+2

I have never heard of an association between acid reflux and breast reduction surgery.  I do not think it will be better or worse.

Breast reduction and reflux

+1

Gastric reflux is related to pressure in side the abdomen, and position. You have not seen questions about breast reduction and acid reflux as there is no known association.

Breast reduction and acid reflux disease

+1
There is no relationship between breast size and acid reflux. However, logically, if the breasts weigh heavily on your chest and prevent you from sitting up straight, this could have an effect of your comfort level. It is a great question! Just understand that, i you do not meet insurance criteria for a reduction, it will not be covered based on an unrelated medical condition.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Reduction and Acid Reflux Improvement?

+1

I know of no direct link between breast hypertrophy and acid reflux disease. However, I can  imagine the situation where a patients  posture is improved  after breast reduction surgery and  any acid reflux  symptoms related to a patient's position improves ( with a more upright position).  Please don't misunderstand; there can be no promises that acid reflux flareups will decrease/improve after breast reduction surgery.