2nd Breast Reduction? How to Find PS That Specialzes in 2n'dary BR?

I had BR w/ anchor tech @ 38 yrs (40DD to 38 C/D). 51 yrs now & sagging more, w/ very flat volume above nipple. If I lay on my back, I'm flat to concave across my chest. I've never been happy with outcome of my areola - being uneven as well as two different sizes. I scarred very badly, ended up having some lasering to flatten out scars. Dermatologist told me that I would've had better outcome had I known about/used silicone sheeting, etc. Should I try again? How to find right PS?

Secondary Breast Reduction - finding and expert surgeon

+1
Secondary Breast reductions can be tricky. Go to the best and most qualified board certified plastic surgeon you can find. I recommend that you look at the below link of how I would find the best plastic surgeon in your area. I would also look on the web sites of plasticsurgery.org and surgery.org to find board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Repeat breast reduction

+1

There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift.  This technique reshapes your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevates them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection.  This technique has been done on patients who have had previous breast reductions using the anchor technique.  The anchor technique results in ugly vertical scars and drooping since there is no internal mechanical support or weight transfer. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Unaware of any plastic surgeon who specializes in secondary breast reduction.

+1

Fortunately there are very few secondary breast reductions performed at least in my practice. Any plastic surgeon who is familiar with breast reduction in general should be able to take care of any secondary breast reduction needs.

2nd Breast Reduction? How to Find PS That Specialzes in Secondary Breast Reduction?

+1

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic breast surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Secondary breast reduction and proactive scar management

+1

You may be a candidate for a secondary breast reduction.  The only question for the surgeon is to understand the technique used for the first procedure.  This information may or may not be available.  Also there are proactive methods to control scarring such as taping the incisions for the first 3 weeks and the use of silicone gel sheeting or liquid silicone from the third week to the third month.  

Revision Breast Reduction

+1

Given your description, you might benefit from a surgery that addresses all of your issues.  This would be a surgery that includes a limited reduction, a significant lift, and possibly a breast implant. These things would address breast shape and areolar size and symmetry.  As for scarring, post operative taping or silicone sheeting would also help. 

Your surgeon is one that specializes in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery, including revisions. Certification by the ABPS and membership in the ASAPS are both basic requirements. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+1

I would like to see a photograph,front and side before giving any recommendations.Revisional surgery could be of benefit

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

+1

There are a lot variables here.  An exam will be necessary for advice.  The skin envelope as well as size and tissue density will all be issues as well as individual scarring characteristics.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast reductions and breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Revision breast reduction can improve outcome a lot.

+1

Hi.

1)  Sounds like you need a good lift, correction of asymmetry, scar revision, and perhaps breast implants to give you upper fullness.

2)  I would see three board certified plastic surgeons and see if their plan makes sense.  Also ask to see before and after pictures

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with your previous breast reduction. Contrary to one of the other consultants, I have seen that uncommonly over the last 3 decades, but any plastic surgeon that does reductions should be able to redo the procedure for you and it is normally quite successful. However if you smoke, I personally would not do a second reduction due to increased risk of tissue loss from poor circulation in the skin.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD