Arnica and Bromelain? Why Are People Using These for Breast Augmentation Recovery? What's It Do?

I am going through BA consults and will be having surgery in May...I have been reading about people suggesting the use of arnica and bromelain. What do they do? Also arnica gel or pills...difference? Thanks!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Arnica and Bromelain for Surgery

+1

I agree with Dr. Soler in that there is some evidence that suggests that arnica and bromelain can help post operative bruising.  Frankly there should be very little to no bruising after breast augmentation so I don't recommend it for this.  I do put my facial cosmetic patients on it as there tends to be some bruising with eyelid surgery and facelifts.  It probably won't hurt so it's up to you whether you want to use it or not.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Arnica and postoperative bruising

+1

Arnica is a homeopathic product which is used to prevent bruising postoperatively.  It is commonly sold as Bruisegard, by the same company that produces Scarguard and Solarguard, two excellent products.  However, while  some scientific studies suppport its effectiveness, most do not.  There are no known serious side effects, so there is generally no harm in taking it.

Web reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9820349

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Arnica and bromelain

+1

Arnica and bromelain are used to reduce swelling and bruising after surgery.  The risk associated with these substances is minimal and in our practice we have seen a reduction in swelling and bruising for our patients.  This reduces the pain and discomfort after surgery and speeds up their recovery.  Since the risk and cost are minimal, we recommend the use of these supplements after surgery to help our patients.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Does Arnica and Bromelain really work?

+1

This is are hard question to answer.  Some surgeons swear by it, some see little effect.  By far, however, the surgical technique is what causes more or less bruising, but sometimes this can't be helped.  I have not seen hard data one way or the other.  Bottom line, it doesn't seem to cause a problem, so I don't have a problem if my patients use it.

Best Wishes,

Pablo A. Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Arnica and Bromelain with breast surgery

+1

Arnica and Bromelain are natural herbal remedies for swelling and bruising.  You can get them in any health food store without a prescription.  They are reputed to help decrease swelling and bruising after surgery, especially facial surgery.  Whether or not they really do anything is subject to opinion.  Personally, I don't think they do much but I don't discourage my patients from using them.  Who knows?  Bruising isn't usually an issue with breast augmentation surgery for me anyway.  Still, If you are planning to use these, it is generally recommended that you start using them two days before your planned procedure. 

Arnica and Bromelain?

+1

It is unclear if these products do much to cut down on bruising and ease recovery. Of the surgeons who suggest these products, most note that it helps in facial procedures and perhaps in liposuction, but not particularly in breast surgery where there is usually not much in the way of bruising.

All the best. 

Arnica and Bromelain After Breast Augmentation?

+1

These medications are used in an effort to reduce postoperative swelling/bruising.  For the majority of patients undergoing breast augmentation surgery, significant bruising/swelling is not an issue;   therefore the majority of my patients elect not to use these medications.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Breast augmentation

+1

These are said to reduce bruising, but I am not aware of any well designed scientific study that  substantiates the claims. I do not think they will do any harm, but I doubt the benefit is worth the money you pay for them.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Arnica and Bromelain for Breast Augmentation

+1

Arnica and Bromelain have been suggested to reduce postoperative bruising.  Arnica pills are fine.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Arnica and Bromelain For Breast Augmentation Recovery

+1

Thank you for the question. There have been a few studies that have shown Arnica and Bromelain will help decrease the amount of post operative bruising and swelling for plastic surgery patients.

In my office it is offered to patients as an option. Those who take them state that it helped make their experience easier than when compared to friends who did not take them. 

I hope this helps. Good luck.