MM in One Week! I'm Five Foot is 339cc Silicone Implants Going to Make Me Look Top Heavy?

My mommy makeover is in one week. I am just under 5 foot and weigh 127. I'm going with 339cc silicone under the muscle. Will I look top heavy? I'm 36B now and would like to be near a c cup.

Choosing your implant Size

+2

Unfortunately there is no direct correlation between cup size and number of cc's used.   The appearance and cup size of a breast  may be influenced by factors other than breast tissue;  for example, the chest wall (rib cage) may be concave or convex creating a  smaller or larger breast appearance respectively.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra manufacturer;  the patient may fit a C cup in one store and a D  cup in another.

Communication with your plastic surgeon will be critical to help you achieve your goals with the breast augmentation procedure.
In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.     I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

You are the best judge of the right size of your breast

+2

It seems strange to me that a Plastic Surgeon feels they know the right size breast implant for a patient. In our practice i put gel implants into a very stretchy bra and let the patient pick the size that full fills her own body image. It is amazing how this is so repeatable with in 50 ccs. I hardly ever hear of dissatisfaction with the patients results. There are a few limitations which need to be heeded. The base diameter of the woman's breast needs to be measured and the base diameter of the desired implant must be acceptable. This is so that the implant sits easily in the breast pocket. I recommend that you discuss this approach with your plastic surgeon and I feel sure you will make the best choice possible. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Will Implants Look Top Heavy

+2

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately it is not possible to give you a specific answer without an exam or at the very least medical quality photos. Hopefully you and your surgeon have had a thorough discussion regarding your desired results. With that knowledge he should be able to have several implants available on your surgery date and during surgery he will use sizers in the pocket to determine which specific implant will get you to your goal.We never take a patient to the OR with only one size implant because it is not possible to know what an implant will look like until it is under the tissues, and they greatly modify the implant's shape.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

339 cc in 4' 11" : Top Heavy Concerns

+1

The average implant placed in the US is 350 ml.  Thus, this implant is not large by itself.  However, it is possible that a less than average implant may still be too large for you.  The best thing to do is to try some of the implants on to get an idea. 

Implant size selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

. Will I look top heavy?

+1

That is in the eye of the beholder. 

I prefer to have patients try on implants with a stretchy sports bra, and then put on a tee shirt or any top that they are used to wearing. This is not an exact science, but has worked very well in choosing the right size.

The implants look a bit bigger sitting over the breast that the same size inserted surgically, so I usually use an implant about 10% larger to compensate. 

There are no fixed definitions of cup size, but you might expect about a cup and half size increase with a 339 cc implants.

Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

Implants too big?

+1

Hopefully you were able to "try on" implants at your consultation to get some idea how they will look with your body type.  It's so important to get a size that fits your chest diameter, looks good with your waist line and hips and fits your lifestyle. 

I tell my patients to forget about bra size.  Bra size is so highly variable and your bra size does not matter.  What matters is to feel comfortable and confident with your new figure. 

It's really normal to be nervous before surgery.  If you did not "try on" implants, I would make sure you get the opportunity to do so prior to final size selection.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD