Can I Mix Hydroquinone with Tretinoin and a Moisturizer?

I have melasma. I know about triluma but my dermatologist gave me 4% hydroquinone gel as well as a tube of 0.025% of tretinoin cream that I want to use up first. Can I mix these 2 ingredients as well as a moisturizer and apply it to my face and body. At Night? How would I apply? How long would I do this treatment for? Thank you.

Melarase creams for melasma

+1

There are many options for melasma treatment. I advise my patients to begin Melarase AM and Melarase PM for melasma as they contain natural, non-HQ, and HQ skin lighteners. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/67/melasma.aspx

Mixing hydroquinone, tretinoin and a moisturizer

+1

One should avoid mixing topical medications in absence of supervision of a board-certified dermatologist. There is always a concern about possible self-dilution and pH incompatibility. On the other hand, it may be appropriate to use a light thin-coat of moisturizer 30 minutes prior to topical tretinoin or hydroquinone to minimize irritation.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Cosmetic_Dermatology.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, you can mix hydroquinone with tretinoin.

+1

Yes, mixing hydroquinone gel and tretinoin cream with your moisturizer is a great treatment for your melasma.  However, they should not be used on the neck or other body areas due to increased likelihood of irritation.  With this said, I would recommend starting slowly with the face (initially 3 times per week) as gels can be more irritating, and then work up to nightly if no redness or flaking occurs.  I would consult your physician on how long they recommend you use this regimen.  In my practice, I recommend patients use hydroquinone for 6-8 weeks and then take a break. And during this break, I recommend using a natural lightener, such as kojic acid, to maintain the initial results achieved by the hydroquinone.

Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon