How Can You Tell if Lipo Was Actually Performed? (photo)

I had a full tt with tumescent lipo to my flanks on 10/2/12. I have mesh from a previous hernia repair above my belly button. I was told in my preop appt and immediately before surgery that he would do tumescent lipo on my flanks. I have not had a bruise or pain other than the incision. Does it appear that my flanks received lipo? I still have a roll across my belly button line extending to both sides. I am smaller than before and probably swollen, but shouldn't I have bruises and pain in the lipo area?

Bruising after lipo not necessary

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  A moderate amount of liposuction done properly after sufficient tumescent liposuction may result in little or no bruising.  It sounds, however, that you do not think you have achieved the result that you wanted.  Therefore, it is more important to identify what you do not like about your result and discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Dr Remus Repta 

Post op lipo results

+1

This soon after your surgery it is difficult to predict final results. With my liposuction patients, I tell them that often right after surgery there is no noticeable difference from before surgery because of the swelling. And then as the swelling decreases, the improvement becomes more and more noticeable. And many patients do not experience pain or bruising in the areas of liposuction though most do. It sounds like you lucked out there! And your pictures show a very nice result so congratulations.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

#Liposuction with a #TummyTuck

+1

From your photos, it is impossible to tell regarding liposuction. However, a tummy tuck is much more uncomfortable and it may be that the lipo pain is relatively small compared to the tummy tuck. Discuss this with your physician, but you will continue to have swelling from a liposuction procedure that could minimize your ultimate results. Be patient.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Not sure what you are complaining about

+1

Let me get this straight.  Your surgeon did a very nice job on a difficult tummy tuck with liposuction done thru the tt incision and you are complaining because you don't have pain or bruising.  OK. Honestly that is not uncommon because all the work is done from the inside.  I would say you are doing beautifully and trust your surgeon.  I doubt he would be lying to you over something like lipo and you seem to have much more improvement in contour than you would expect from a TT alone.  Wishing you an easy recuperation, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

How Can You Tell if Lipo Was Actually Performed? (

+1

I cannot tell for sure, but there appears to be much more improvement to your flanks than I would expect with TT alone. 

Although I see no bruising there, I also see no bruising on your abdomen, where I would expect as least as much as at a lipo site. 

Looks like a really nice result. Congratulations.