Tummy tuck or mini-tuck and /or with liposuction to abdomen and flanks? Which would be the best for me? (photo)

I am 5'9" 156lbs, I've had 3 kids (youngest is 2yrs old), I have stretch marks and saggy skin on my abdomen. And my belly button looks saggy to me. Which procedure would be best to give me a defined waistline and to remove the extra skin/fat and stretch marks ( all below my belly button)? Also would tHe belly button still appear wrinkly and saggy with the mini tuck? Can the abdominal muscles be tightened with only a mini tuck? Thanks

Body contouring

+3
Hi southerngirl. 
You have a nice figure already. What procedures you opt for depends on how shapely you want to get. A full tt with muscle tightening will give an excellent result.Your bb should look much better. I noticed your buttocks are flattish.  Fat injections at the same time will improve your contour as well.
I would not do a mini-tuck.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2
You would benefit from a full tummy tuck.

A tummy tuck can be done as a solitary procedure. Many times the results are enhanced by adding liposuction to the hip and love handle area. A tummy tuck is also done in combination with a breast augmentation in a mommy makeover.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Mini-tuck or Full tummy tuck for me?

+2
While I agree with most of these answers, I would make two recommendations that are additional. First of all I would recommend the technique utilized be a lipo-abdominoplasty similar to the Saldanha technique since it will give you a safer procedure with a better appearance to the abdominal flap since it will be thinner after the lipoplasty. Secondly, I would recommend you not have your muscles tightened since you appear to have good muscle tone, and avoiding sutures to the abdominal wall significantly shortens your recovery time, pain level,  and lessens the risks. This last recommendation is also contingent on your physical exam and the degree of abdominal wall laxity you have. The amount of skin above your umbilicus as well as the skin quality in your lower abdomen indicate you would have the best result with a classic Saldanha abdominoplasty. I use ultrasonic liposelection which would be applicable in your flanks although you really don't have a lot of excess. Most of your result is going to be from your abdominoplasty. Fat grafting to your buttocks is optional depending on your desires.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck Vs. Mini Tummy Tuck - Depends on Your Muscles & Skin Laxity

+1

Which procedure is best depends on both your anatomy and your expectations. If all of the issues are below the belly button and the belly button looks good, and the muscles are in good shape, then a mini tummy tuck is appropriate – it removes lax skin and fat on the lower abdomen and can be combined with liposuction for the upper abdomen and flanks.

If the muscles are separated or you feel the belly button is saggy, then you would need a full tummy tuck to solve those problems. Liposuction can be done into the flank and thigh area with either procedure. Typically, after pregnancy, the full tummy tuck is needed to address all of the problems it causes, but everyone is a little different. Your best answer is to go ahead and get seen by a board-certified plastic surgeon to help you with a unique plan. 

Marie E. Montag, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Muscle tightening is best done with a full tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question.  You are in excellent shape but I understand that you want to tighten your abdominal skin and have your muscles repaired.  A mini tummy tuck will not address loose skin above the belly button and makes muscle repair difficult but possible.  A full tummy tuck provides access which allows and easier muscle repair and can tighten the skin around your belly button.  Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1
If your belly button looks saggy and you have lower abdomen stretch marks and want to have a more defined waistline with removal of excess fat then you will need a tummy tuck and not a mini.  The mini won't tighten your muscles or remove the majority of stretch marks nor completely tighten the belly button. You may need some liposuction to better define the waistline but this also will be improved with the muscle tightening done with the tummy tuck. Generally a "mini" means just that ....."mini" results and it sounds from your questions and the fact you have had 3 kids that you need the tummy tuck. 

William Aiello, MD   Newport Beach, & Los Alamitos CA

William Aiello, MD

Body contouring after childbirth: tummy tuck vs miniabdominoplasty

+1
A full tummy tuck with remove excess skin and tighten the abdominal muscles.  This will provide the best result with the flattest contours and will also narrow your waist.  Flank liposuction will add to the result by reducing fullness to accentuate the waistline.  

Fat injection into the buttocks can help add contour there but fat transfer is not perfectly reliable.  ADSCs (Adipose Derived Stem Cells) help a greater percentage of transferred fat survive (85-95% vs 50-75%).

Daniel Greenwald, MD

TT

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I believe that you make a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction in the waist, upper and lower back with fat grafting in to buttocks.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or mini-tuck?

+1
A mini or modified tummy tuck, with or without liposuction, as well as one of a variety of full tummy tucks that exist can produce a good cosmetic appearance in the appropriate patient. A modified abdominoplasty with a floating of the umbilicus and repair of the abdominal muscles can produce a very nice significant result in many patients. The result depends on the extent of looseness of your tissue above the umbilicus (belly button), since there is a limitation of how much tightness you can get with that procedure and still maintain a normal appearing position of the navel.

Based on your brief history and photo but without examining you, you appear to be a reasonable candidate for a modified tummy tuck. If you plan on future pregnancies, you should wait to have surgery until you are done having children, since pregnancy will stretch out the skin and abdominal muscles again, usually undoing the repairs that were achieved with the abdominoplasty

Following the advice from a surgeon or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full Abdominoplasty

+1
Judging strictly from your pictures, I think you may be well served with a mini abdominoplasty. The umbilicus can be floated downward slightly and the separation of the abdominal muscles can be corrected. Liposuction will be a nice adjunct. Of course, this will need to be discussed with your plastic surgeon.
Best wishes!

William H. Gorman, MD