Are my Breast Augmentation Expectations Realistic? (photo)

I recently had a consultation with a doctor but he is uncomfortable with doing larger breasts, which is what I want. I want to know if my expectations are unrealistic. I have a before and after photo of someone who has similar breast tissue as me before, with the results that I would like. I don't want the implants to be placed really high up but prefer them to be slightly below (like in the picture). Does anyone know anybody in Ontario that is comfortable with doing this?

Realistic Expectations for Breast Augmentation

+1

It's tough to make any kind of recommendation based on another person's set of photos, but if you do look like the "before" picture you provided, you probably are a good candidate for breast augmentation.  As some of the other plastic surgeons have suggested, I would recommend you think through your choice of implant size from a number of standpoints and not just ultimate breast size alone.  Most women want their breasts to harmonize with the rest of their figure so they look natural, not obviously surgically-enhanced.  In addition, breasts that are extra large for a woman's frame may become saggy too soon or even lead to other problems. 

With all those things in mind, it is your decision.  I'd advise you to arrange more than one consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who perform hundreds of breast augmentations each year and listen to their input.  If you do decide to go the extra large route, make sure you choose to work with a surgeon who has experience working with large implants.  Ask to see before and after photos that demonstrate he or she can create the results you're seeking.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Achievable but not stable

+1

The results shown in the photograph can be achieved.  However, they will not be stable long term.  Implants that large are heavy, not under the muscle and not supported.  They will descend inferiorly and laterally requiring revision.  Patients with large implants like this undergo a series of operations until they finally reach a point where they no longer tolerate repeated surgery.  Often, they are badly scarred, have nipple numbness and lost breast tissue.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

+1

As mentioned here, talk to your surgeon.  Find our why he is apprehensive to use larger implants.  Get a second opinion and educate yourself with the consults on what effect long term is expected on your tissues with larger implants.  If the sizes become excessive you may be happy in the short go, but unhappy in the long term if you were not expecting possible changes.  I hope this information is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Expectations

+1

if you are the same height and weight and have breasts similar to the ones pictured then your results are achievable

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Are my Breast Augmentation Expectations Realistic?

+1

Dear Mississauga,

Thank you for your question.  While I do not believe your expectations are unrealistic, I would suggest you consider an augmentation that fits your chest a little better.  When the implant extends outside the chest wall (on the outside of the breast), they begin to look artificially wide.  Otherwise, I think its a good result.  Consider the result below, just a little more narrow with good cleavage, and still proportional.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Keep searching for boarded PSs in your city who do larger volume implantation cases. You just have to keep looking. 

Achieving Goals with Breast Augmentation Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with  meaningful specific advice.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

+1

Assuming that your appearance is similar to the one in the posted photo, I would expect that your expectations are reasonable. I might well have recommended smaller implants for her, as many patients do not like the fact that the breasts extend beyond the chest wall.

RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area.  Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Breast augmentation expectations

+1

Every patient is different and therefore implants will look different for each patient. Best to go for an evaluation in person to see if what you want can be achieved.

Realistic breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question. If your breasts are similar to the ones in the photo I think your expectations are realistic and are achievable. 

Best of luck...

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS