What Happens if I Missed an Post-op Appointment? Improper Healing?

I had septorhinoplasty performed just over two months ago. I unfortunately booked my second post-op appointment too late and was only able to obtain a date that was 12 weeks after the original surgery! Since I have thick skin and there is still considerable swelling, I'm afraid by the time I see my doctor I might have missed a critical time in the healing that would have required steroid injections and taping. Is it possible that if I wait any longer my nose might not heal properly?

Missed appt

+2

Your doctor should have set your post-op appointments. Most rhinoplasty patients do not require steroid injections. Try to get in earlier to ease your worries

Second appointment, 3 months later?

+1

Wow.   In my practice, the first three post-op appointments are made when the patient comes in for the surgery pre-op appointment.   As such, there is little chance for the patient to miss several appointments post-op.   It happens in this busy hectic world, that patients may forget an appointment.   IT is highly unusual for a post-op patient to miss TWO post operative appointments.

Give your surgeon a call and get yourself in to see the surgeon sooner than later.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Post-op Appointment

+1

Call your surgeon's office and explain your concern about the timing of your post-op appointment. He/she will decide what is appropriate, but I would not be terribly concerned. Over the past 30+ years I've had many patients from other states or countries who do not return to my office for many months after their initial post-op appointment following rhinoplasty.

Missed appt after surgery

+1
It probably will not make a difference but talk to your surgeon directly and ask. Most surgeons who care about their results would like too err on the side of seeing you too much instead of not enough.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Missed appointment

+1

You should definitely call and make an appt. sooner. Your surgeon might have placed packing or internal splints-if those are left too long you may have a problem. Hope this helps!

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Appointment

+1

If you have concerns, then you should call your surgeon's office and let them know you would like to come in sooner.  It is very important that you choose a surgeon who's office makes patients feel comfortable and who make an extra effort to help accommodate their patients.  Scheduling a patient 12 weeks after surgery for their post op appointment  is not acceptable.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD