Misaligned Breast Implants

I have new Breast implants, and they don’t look exactly how I expected. One breast is higher than the other? Is this normal? I asked my doctor about it and he just told me to wait. It's been about 5 weeks and 3 days.

Patience and non surgical techniques

+1

A minor degree of asymmetry in the early post-operative period could be dealt with with a variety of non surgical techniques. The first one being patience! Breast implant do drop within the first 6-12 weeks. As long as the pocket is well dissected (you can find out by applying vertical pressure on the implant), the implant will drop with time.

Massage, wrapping, etc. will also help with this adjustment.

No two breasts are identical

+1

Many woman are mortified when we focus on the asymmetries of the breasts, at their preop appointments. From our faces to our feet, and in between, no side is a mirror image of the other. So while breast augmentation may make them more comparable, there will always be some residual differences. At five weeks, postop, the implant which is riding higher than the other, may just be taking a little time to settle because it was placed into a tighter pocket, was smaller, had more volume added, etc.

Most physicians will reassure you that this is not your final product, which will "develop" over approximately 90days. So confer with your PS and don't obsess, remember gravity always wins and things will settle down. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Things can take time for breast augmentation results to settle down

+1

How you look before surgery can be important in defining your appearance afterward, but things do take time after surgery to settle. One side does not always settle at the same rate as the other. Have your surgeon follow you as this resolves and more often than not it all works out.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry after Augmentation

+1
It really depends on how you were before surgery.  Also each breast shaped differently and one may drop faster than the other.
I ultimately say that you have to wait about 4 months and see how your breasts have shaped.  Only then can you say that they are going to stay that way.
Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

It depends but you are early

+1

It depends on how asymmetric your breasts are now and how much before surgery too. If you have smooth implants and ou are massaging them, your plastic surgeon may have you pay more attention to the higher one. Ask your plastic surgeon to give you more guidance.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS