Will Miradry Work for Me if Subdermal Laser Ablation and Suction Curettage Didn't?

Almost a year ago, I had sub dermal laser ablation and suction curettage done on both of my armpits twice (the first time the doctor went too deep and didn't manage to destroy anything). Months after the second procedure, I began sweating profusely again. I have lost almost all feeling in my armpits and yet somehow my sweat glands have managed to survive or regenerate? I would love to try Miradry but am afraid of another investment that will leave me high and (no so) dry.

MiraDry After Failed Subdermal Laser Ablation and Suction Curettage

+2

Dear venezia88,

Local surgical treatments for excessive underarm sweating (such as suction curettage, laser assisted liposuction, liposuction, subdermal laser ablation, etc.) have mixed levels of effectiveness (ie. works in some patients, doesn't work in others) because it is difficult to destroy the sweat glands thoroughly and accurately.

miraDry, by contrast, has a very high level of effectiveness because the electromagnetic wave energy used to destroy the sweat glands is placed very thoroughly and very accurately (ie. precisely at the level where the sweat glands reside in the skin) throughout the entire underarm. miraDry, in fact, is just as effective as Botox for excessive underarm sweating, with results that last much, much longer.

I have personally and successfully treated a small group of patients who came to me after having failed suction curettage. You should have a high chance of success with miraDry.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

San Francisco, CA USA

Play the odds- you have a 90 % plus success rate.

+1
I inform all patients that we can ONLY work on probability, you have a very high chance of miraDry working, having said that, I have also seen patients who fail Botox, and miraDry. 
Unlike suction curretage and subdermal laser ablation, miraDry works by electromagnetic energy to target eccrine or sweat glands. The majority of patients will need only 2 treatments, some may require an extra one. 

If you were my patient, I would also explore why do you sweat more than others, is there an anxiety component, if so, I combine treatments such as miraDry with CBT.

Hope this helps

Dr Davin Lim 
Cosmetic and laser dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry after suction curettage failure

+1

I have done miraDry in at least 5 patients after late faiure of suction curettage, meaning 1 year or more after the patient had suction curettage or SDLA - since these procedures cause tissue scarring, more than 2 sessions of miraDry at level 5 is recommended for success. SDLA and suction curettage cause dermal or subdermal tissue thickening and as such, high energy is needed to penetrate this scar tissue to achieve eccrine tissue injury.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Treatment of refractory or difficult to treat armpit hyperhidrosis

+1

Miradry is very effective, even in refractory cases of hyperhidrosis of the armpit, such as your case.  I would recommend a trial to improve your symptoms. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS