Could Miradry Work for Hydradenitis?

I have had this condition for over 20 years and am at the point where antibiotics don't work that well. I am allergic to cycline antibiotics and am currently taking Augmentin. I was curious if Miradry could work because from what I understand it can destroy sweat glands. My condition affects my groin area and it sounds like Miradry is typically done in the armpit area, is there a reason it couldn't be used in the groin area?

Miradry expert in Los Angeles

+1

Miradry can work alongside hidradenitis, but it is not FDA approved to treat the condition.  I have found the Miradry to be useful in patients with hyperhidrosis and associated other axillary problems.  A consultation would be useful. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

MiraDry is for excessive armpit sweating

+1

To date, miraDry is FDA-approved for treating excessive sweating in the armpit area only.  MiraDry is not FDA-approved to treat hidradenitis supparativa.  The miraDry handpiece is specifically designed to fit against and apply slight suction to the shape of an armpit.  Even if you were to attempt it on the groin, you may not be able to get enough suction to ensure an adequate treatment or too much suction could be applied, which could risk damage underlying structures. 

Web reference: http://www.advanceddermatologypc.com/miradry.html

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry for Hidradenitis?

+1

Dear loriew,

miraDry is a safe, effective, and lasting treatment for excessive underarm sweating.

As you surmised, there is reason to think that miraDry *might* be effective against hidradenitis. However, there has not been tested, and thus miraDry is currently not indicated for treating hidradenitis.

There are additional treatments for hidradenitis. Please see an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation. 

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Web reference: http://www.77plasticsurgery.com

MiraDry not FDA approved for hidradenitis

+1

The miraDry is not FDA approved for hidradenitis. I don't recommend it for hidradenitis. I do recommend it for hyperhidrosis of the underams.

Web reference: http://www.EliminateSweating.com

Buffalo General Surgeon

Miradry can be used for hidradenitis in armpits but not goin

+1

laser hair removal should be tried in the area as it may be beneficial.  I have treated one patient with hidraenitis in the armpits with improvement in the symptoms.

Hydradenitis is a Complicated Problem, MiraDry Can Treat Armpits but not Groin.

+1

Hydradenitis is a complicated problem. There is no reason why MiraDry cannot be used for this problem in the armpits – perhaps combined with Nd:YAG laser treatment which will lessen the hidradenitis associated ingrown hairs. The MiraDry hand piece is not optimized to treat in the groin.