Does Miradry Replace Deodorant?

I was wondering if Miradry can replace deodorant? The reason why I am asking is that my friend has cancer, and the doctors were telling her that deodorant is seen to have health risks or cancer risks now. I tried the natural deodorant and it just doesn't work! If I get Miradry done can I stop wearing deodorant and it will work well? I shower daily and I understand it won't work miracles. :)

...good chance of decreasing odor

+1
Yes, miraDry can permanently destroy the apocrine glands that cause the smell, additionally it can destroy the eccrine glands - sweat glands that produce sweat, that bacteria thrive on. 2 treatments are needed, 3 months apart, good luck. 

Dr Davin S. Lim 
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist

Brisbane Dermatologist

Miradry and Odor..

+1

Miradry destroys the sweat glands (eccrine gland) and the odor producing glands (aprocrine gland). Two treatments, 3 months apart, are typically necessary for optimal results. Deodorant is not typically necessary post treatment...

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Miradry helps sweating AND odor

+1

Miradry helps greatly to eliminate not only sweating but odor as well.

Miradry was originally used for sweat reduction. However, patients treated with this technology noticed a big improvement with odor at the same time. Deodorant is optional and most patients do not need to use any after the second treatment or use it like everybody else without hyperhydrosis problem. For example, Miradry is mostly used to eliminate odor in the Japan, where people are only concerned about odor, not sweating.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

MiraDry and deodorant

+1

A series of two miraDry treatments has been shown to reduce armpit sweating by approximately 86% in the majority of patients.  The miraDry procedure helps eliminate body odor related to sweat, which is also known as bromhidrosis.  The miraDry procedure utilizes microwave technology to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  MiraDry is the only device on the market that is able to eliminate both eccrine (normal sweat) apocrine ("smelly" sweat) glands.  For this reason, most patients do not feel the need to use deodorant after having the miraDry procedure done.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry may reduce odor (bromhidrosis)

+1

miraDry non selectively targets the sweat bearing tissue (eccrine sweat glands) that produce water and electrolytes in what we call hyperhidrosis, as well as targeting apocrine sweat glands that make oily secretions, the metabolic by products of which cause the odor known as bromhidrosis. So, most people that I have treated that have hyperhidrosis and bromhidrosis state (at follow-up) that they experience less odor as well as sweating less. So, you may choose to use deodorant (not antiperspirant) if you want to for residual bromhidrosis.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

MiraDry reduces/eliminates need for deodorant

+1

Deodorant reduces the odor from sweat, and miraDry can make deodorant unnecessary.  In fact, in East Asia, where the population doesn't sweat that much, miraDry is used more to reduce odor than to reduce the moisture from sweating.  

miraDry also reduces (or even eliminates) the need for antiperspirant since it reduces underarm sweating by > 80%, on average, after 2 treatments.

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Great Success!

+1

Studies have shown that two sessions with the Miradry procedure can decrease sweating on the order of 60-90%. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis with miradry and retrograde suction curettage

+1

Axillary hyperhidrosis is caused by excessive sweat gland production.  Treatments such as MiraDry and Retrograde Suction Curettage can help with axillary hyperhidrosis and allow patients to resume life without excessive sweating.  Deodorants and antiperspirants can be less of a daily struggle after treatment. Surgery90210 Raffy Karamanoukian

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

MiraDry replaces deodorant

+1

Yes, miraDry destroys both sweat and odor glands which do not regenerate, so you would most likely no longer have to wear deodorant.

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment with MiraDry will significantly reduce the need for deodorant

+1

Treatment with MiraDry will significantly reduce the need for deodorant. The microwave energy employed permanently destroys most of the glands which produce sweat and odor in the underarm area.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon