Will Miradry Destroy Axillary Fat?

Will the microwave energy used to destroy the eccrine and apocrine glands in the axilla also damage the fat layer in which they are embedded? I'm try to avoid the crepey underam skin that accompanies old age; I don't want to do anything to hasten that phenomenon or to ensure that it will develop. Thank you.

No

+1
miraDry target the eccrine (sweat and) aporcrine (odour) glands and not your fat. Fat is destroyed by cold, and not by heat ( well, technically not as much), hence it is safe for underarm fat. 

2 treatments, 3 month apart is the way to go. 

regards

Dr Davin Lim
Dermatologist
Laser and Cosmetic
Brisbane and Gold Coast
Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Miradry system for hyperhidrosis in Los Angeles

+1

Miradry uses focused ultrasound to selectively destroy axillary sweat glands to control hyperhidrosis. I have seen the effectiveness of the Miradry system in practice. Raffy Karamanoukian, MD

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

MiraDry will not destroy axillary fat

+1

Thanks for your question.  The short answer is that miraDry will not destroy axillary fat.  The miraDry procedure utilizes microwave technology to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  Energy at this specific level of treatment does not significantly reach the fat and may actually help tighten the skin.  Studies demonstrate that results last up to 2 years and are likely permanent as sweat glands do not regenerate.  

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry does not destroy axillary fat ..

+1

There is no clinical evidence or observation by those that provide miraDry that loss of axillary fat is a clinically significant or important issue. Certainly, this is  not an issue when people lose 150 pounds after gastric bypass surgery - no one comes in and says I have laxity of skin in my axilla !

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

There is no evidence of fat destruction or changes in skin laxity with miradry

+1

The energy delivered by miradry is focused on where the sweat glands reside which is the deeper portions of the dermis and not the fat.  Therefore there is no evidence that there would be any effect on the fat.  There is no evidence of why the results in the laxity of the skin would be.  extrapolating from thermal studies, heating up the dermis to a certain temperature causes kin tightening due to collagen contraction and collagen neogenesis.  It is possible that the miradry procedure will actually tighten skin as well.  This is only my hypothesis but would be an interesting question to explore.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Miradry

+1

The MIraDry procedure primarily focuses on targeting the sweat glands and while it is possible to have some superficial fat destruction this has not been seen nor reported. It would be very unusual for the MiraDry procedure to lead to laxity of underarm skin.

Brian Zelickson, MD
Minneapolis Dermatologist