How Does MiraDry Compare to Botox Cost Wise?

I understand that MiraDry is suppose to last longer than Botox injections for sweating, but I'm wondering how much it should cost, roughly, for the two necessary treatments?

Cost comparison to Botox

Since excessive underarm sweating treated with Botox lasts an average of 7-12 months ( and often as short as 5 months), the cost savings is significant  for the suggested 1-2 treatments needed overall with miraDry treatments!  By far, miraDry is worth the investment for a great outcome and long-lasting results.

MiraDry cost versus Botox

Botox costs are variable around the country but miraDry is surely more cost effective but unfortunately, insurance companies don't cover the miraDry procedure but they may cover Botox injections for hyperhidrosis.

MiraDry, a New Treatment for Underarm Sweating, is Probably More Cost Effective Than Botox

For hyperhidrosis (excessive underarm sweating), Botox costs about $1,000-$1,500 and typically lasts about six months.

MiraDry is a newer treatment for hyperhidrosis. MiraDry costs about $3,000 and typically lasts one to two years, possibly longer.

It is important to note that the costs of treatment may vary from geographic region to geographic region, and that treatment results may vary from person to person.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Miradry for underarm hyperhidrosis

As a longterm strategy for underarm hyperhidrosis, Miradry continues to be an effective strategy for underarm hyperhidrosis and likely more cost-effective. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

In our practice, the cost for one session of Miradry is 30-50 percent higher than the cost of one session of botox injections for the underarms.

However, as you may know, Miradry is essentially permanent after 1-2 sessions, whereas botox requires repeat visits for as long as underarm sweat reduction is desired (every 6-9 months, or more frequently).

Therefore, over the long term, Miradry provides for a far superior result and economic value.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

MiraDry vs BOTOX in Australia

Here is my take. Botox for underarm sweating is subsidised by Medicare, with the provision that its done by
a Specialist. Typically patients are only out of pocket 400 plus dollars. 

If Botox last 6-9 months (some patients it lasts upto 12 months), stick with BOTOX as miraDry typically cost over 3500 dollar. Hence it will take you 8 years to recover the treatment cost for miraDry. miraDry treatment, hopefully, over time will come down in price. 

Flipside- if Botox only last 1-3 months, and you end up spending 1200 dollars per year- go the miraDry, because after year 3, you've broken even- PLUS the fact you don't have to anticipate sweating, nor have needles every few months. 

This is my personal view point. Certainly if patients who have relief on Botox want miraDry, get it done. I think both treatments work equally well, its a matter of cost, and the psychology of when will sweating start. 

Dr Davin Lim 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

MiraDry vs. Botox

MiraDry typically cost $3000 for a series of 2 treatments and is said to last 2+ years. However, since this technology destroys the sweat glands and they do not regenerate... it is most likely to be a permanent solution.

Botox on average costs $1100 every 6-9 months for the treatment of Hyperhidrosis.

Dr. Grant Stevens Marina Plastic Surgery Associates Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Hyperhidrosis treatment - miraDry costs less than botox in the long run

Botox injections and miraDry are both out-of-pocket expenses.  Botox will occasionally be approved through insurance with prior-authorization.  We highly recommend miraDry if you're looking at long-term costs (and time).  miraDry is typically $3,000 for two treatments for an average 86% reduction in sweating - the sweat glands are perminently destroyed and will not regenerate.  Botox is typically $1,000 for injections but requires multiple injections each year.  Once the botox wears off, you will begin sweating again.

MiraDry Summer Special: $2,000

We charge $1,000 for Botox treatments for axillary hyperhydrosis.  The effect of these usually lasts for three to six months. We are currently offering a Summer Special on the miraDry treatment: $2,000 for two treatments spaced three months apart, all-inclusive.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS