Does Minoxidil Cause Wrinkles?

Minoxidil affects collagen

+1

While minoxidil may not be main contributor to wrinkles, it does affect collagen. In the article, “Minoxidil: mechanisms of action on hair growth,” published in the British Journal of Dermatology 2004, it reveals minoxidil decreases the expression of lysine hydroxylase in collagen production. Additionally, it also suppresses collagen synthesis by rat vibrissae dermal papilla cells, both in monolayer cultures and in cells grown in collagen gels. Essentially, minoxidil can cause a degradation of skin’s collagen, which is what would probably cause the accelerated aging. However, skin problems are not listed as any of the side effects on the packaging of Rogaine or Spectral DNC.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Wrinkles from minoxidil

+1

I have read no reports of minoxidil causing wrinkles. However, hair loss and wrinkles might happen at about the same time so someone might be able to do a study showing a relationship. It is not cause and effect. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Minoxidil and wrinkles

+1

Minoxidil is an antihypertensive medication with a side effect of promiting hair growth. Wrinkle formation is not a known or identified side effectof this medication.

Minoxidil does NOT cause wrinkles

+1

To the best of my knowledge wrinkles are caused by aging, diet, stress, sun exposure among others. Minoxidil is not associated with wrinkle formation.